Motel Mingle Forums General Chit Chat Would you mind answering some questions please?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Cassius 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Creator

Topic

Busybees
    Busybees

Participant

Hi Guys,
      Just as a matter of interest would you mind answering a few questions for me?

*) do you send a confirmation email on booking regardless of where they booked? or do you just rely on the confirmation from the OTA (if that’s where they booked)?
      *) does that email information about hours/food/parking etc?
      *) do you contact the guest on the day of arrival to see what time they are going to arrive, again regardless of where they booked?
      *) do you still run a night bell? do you live on site?
      *) do you advertise your office hours and still get guests that are unaware of such times?
      Thanks in advance for helping me out cheers! ?

• Author

Replies

Paul
      Paul

Participant
      • Topics Started 24
      • Replies 80

Guests, in our experience, almost NEVER take any notice of opening and closing times. We always try ad ring/email the guest to find out their ETA. If they don’t answer, then SMS is the next resort. After that – tough. They should have listened.
        We have had a night bell before but never again! In our experience if you’ve not booked into a motel room before 8:30pm/9pm then you’re usually up to no good. With the age of the internet there is NO excuse for not booking a room prior to that.
        As other have said, one of the most frustrating things for me is the guest that says; “I thought you’d be 24 hours”?

Do you Mr/Mrs Guest work 24 hours? No, I thought not! We get up at 5am and turn into bed at 10pm, isn’t that enough for you?

(We actually had one guest say that he regularly worked 24 hours a day – and he was a pilot!

Idiot!

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
        • Topics Started 8
        • Replies 84

Yes, there is an attached email to OTA bookings re late arrivals. This is generated via OTA’s booking site. I do not personally send it. I mentioned broken glass ect. fearing a guest may step in it and result in an injury or possible carpet damage. Yes , I believe if you value your property cleaning up promptly is most essential, particularly to vomit to prevent lingering smell and carpet stains ect. Many guests do not clean up when they create an issue but often, as you say, fail to report it. As Ash mentions a sense of responsibility prevails towards my property and the guests. How fortunate you are with such minimal room lock outs, perhaps it is my old style key locks that create the call outs for me. We don’t get normally cyclones here either and I hope you or our other Minglers do not have to experience an “act of God” as we have….

Cassius

Participant
            • Topics Started 2
            • Replies 25

We have night save which late arrivals can access their room key. Last three numbers of mobile phone as the code. Key is only put into key safe if payment has been received. No pay – no key no mobile number – no key. Demanded the Expedia supply mobile phone number which they did after we said we would drop Expedia as an OTA.
              Flight Centre and all it’s subsidiary are so bad we do not ever take bookings from them

Busybees
                Busybees

Participant
                • Topics Started 22
                • Replies 231

Hi Cassius,
                  We are the same: no pay no key. We have a wall safe with a code that we change daily. We send them an after hours email, which contains all the information and a motel mud map. BUT they do have to ring us before 6pm on DayOA or no code. Again this is highlighted in fluro yellow. if they haven’t called us we call them by 6

MVM

Participant
              • Topics Started 10
              • Replies 58

*) do you send a confirmation email on booking regardless of where they booked? or do you just rely on the confirmation from the OTA (if that’s where they booked)? We only send confirmation emails for direct bookings and for over the phone bookings. OTA send their own confirmations and plus my system puts the pricing minus the commission – so don’t want the guest seeing that anyway. I do send a generic email after booking about distances from the snow as OTA’s always do this as a straight line and not the true travel distance (they say we are 40km from the snow when we are infact 110km’s) OTA won’t change this as it’s their policy to display distances this way.
                *) does that email information about hours/food/parking etc? We send an email 3 days prior to arrival with all the information.. This is also their last chance to cancel free of charge and you wouldn’t believe how many people this email prompts to call up and cancel.
                *) do you contact the guest on the day of arrival to see what time they are going to arrive, again regardless of where they booked? No – email 3 days prior has reception hours and if arriving outside them hours to call / email
                *) do you still run a night bell? do you live on site? Yes and yes – For aaa rating.
                *) do you advertise your office hours and still get guests that are unaware of such times? Yes, advertise and signed but some people don’t look or care and expect everything 24/7

Ash

Participant
                • Topics Started 1
                • Replies 14

How would one go, if there was a fire or serious incident at an unmanned motel? I have always felt it is my responsibility to remain in site for the guest and public liability. We have a motel and as such believe that guests expect that someone is on site, should a lockout or urgent situation arise.

Busybees
                    Busybees

Participant
                    • Topics Started 22
                    • Replies 231

Thanks MVM for your reply,
                      We don’t live on site and dont run a night bell, and that hasn’t affected our AAA ratings, so not sure how that works if it affects yours!!
                      I just love the way the OTAs control your content …. NOT.
                      Why will they not allow you to have your correct “mileage”,esp as there is quiet a discrepancy in the distances, this could lead to false advertising?
                      The email 3 days before and they cancel, not too sure thats a good idea! Do you really want them to cancel that close to check in?? We send ours as soon as we can after they have booked, that way they are more likely to read it….well thats the “logical” thinking behind it. We also send all our emails with a read receipt (not that it works for OTA address) and request an eta (which does prompt most to reply) and for them to acknowledge that they have read it. AGAIN, covering my butt.

howie

Participant
                        • Topics Started 3
                        • Replies 71

Just wondering in regards to sending a confirmation email. If you receive a booking from booking.com , do you send the email to the generic email that booking.com gives you ?
                          I know we dont bother anymore . If they are to lazy to read the conditions they book with or dont give a eta , we now have an 24 hour checkin machine. So if not here by closing time (8pm) , then check yourself in.
                          If the credit card doesnt work then we make them pay at the checkin machine if they arrive late , that is of course if we havent cancelled there booking already.
                          We dont really put up with it anymore , if you book with a credit card and it doesnt work we just cancel the booking. You can do this with most ota`s now.
                          If if they really want the booking then theyc usually make the effort to call and then we book them direct , therefore by passing the ota`s
                          I am continually amazed at the laziness of people , we set our prices on our own website pretty much 12% below the otas price.Most people cant be bothered to look at our website. There is only 3 motels in town so its not as if they cant find us on the first page of google.

MVM

Participant
                          • Topics Started 10
                          • Replies 58

I wouldn’t think we’d miss many, if any bookings. Our cancellation policy is pretty standard.
                            Free cancellation up until 48hrs prior – which is when we charge the first nights rate for each room booked and your booking becomes non refundable and the balance (if any) is due at check in.
                            So basically if you booked for 7 nights and you cancel 3 days prior to arrival – No payment has been taken, No fee, no cost.
                            If you cancel 2 days prior to check in – you will lose your 1 nights payment as that’s all that has been charged by us. We do not charge for the full 7 nights.

Cassius

Participant
                              • Topics Started 2
                              • Replies 25

Confirming email if telephone or email booking. Stating reception closes at 9.00pm. Stating minimum 24 hour cancellation policy starting at 2.00pm the day before.
                                Key safe for late arrival accessed by last three numbers of mobile phone. But key only put in key safe if payment had been taken and the mobile phone had been answered if we called earlier in the evening. This applied to all including all OTA’s except expedia where we could take the payment. Note all expedia payments taken on their virtual mastercard on the day of arrival.
                                All clients whose cards were deemed as invalid transactions were reported to the OTA’s and we would cancel the booking. Tough s*** on those clients who think they are so with it for using these sites. We would then charge the standard price for a booking – no discounts of any kind if they eventually arrived.
                                If they supplied any false information to the OTA you have every right to cancel the booking.

MVM

Participant
                              • Topics Started 10
                              • Replies 58

Star ratings are points that add up, the more points you get, the higher the star rating. Having a night bell adds points. Now, that’s not saying that it lowers your star rating by not having one, but if you want to increase your star rating, little things like night bells, higher gsm towels, longer opening hours etc is a way of adding points. Plus, it’s just another service / facility that we provide to the guests.. Not every motel has to do it, but we choose too.

Yes, I do want them to cancel if they don’t require the room… The email has all the information that the guest would possibly need to know, and we get extremely good reviews about the email. It does also prompt people in reminding them that this is their last chance to cancel free of charge, after that there is no excuse and full fee’s apply. We charge for the room 2 days prior to arrival and it’s made clear in the email that once charged it’s non refundable. We don’t want to hoodwink or surprise people, we try to give them every chance and reminder so that there is no dispute when it comes to requesting refunds.

Ash

Participant
                            • Topics Started 1
                            • Replies 14

Hi Guys,
                              Just as a matter of interest would you mind answering a few questions for me?

*) do you send a confirmation email on booking regardless of where they booked? or do you just rely on the confirmation from the OTA (if that’s where they booked)?
                              Yes. We always send confirmation and on every booking including phone calls.

*) does that email information about hours/food/parking etc?
                              Yes, all relevant information about motel is included.

*) do you contact the guest on the day of arrival to see what time they are going to arrive, again regardless of where they booked?
                              Yes. A reminder Text message is sent day before, then if later arrival, a personal call is made.

*) do you still run a night bell? do you live on site?
                              Yes and yes.
                              *) do you advertise your office hours and still get guests that are unaware of such times?
                              Yes.

Busybees
                                Busybees

Participant
                                • Topics Started 22
                                • Replies 231

Hey MVM, thanks for the explanation re the stars!
                                  We have a 24 hours cancellation policy and a full refund, so thats where you differ from us. So yes I can understand why you do send it.
                                  Do you find that you are missing bookings because of no refund, though I guess that would be hard to judge.
                                  We also send this email so that they have all the info so not hoodwinking them either! and like you we get so many positive comments re our info email.

MVM

Participant
                                    • Topics Started 10
                                    • Replies 58

Something else that we added to the 3 day prior email is about maximum occupancy.
                                      “If the number of occupants in the room change from when you made the booking, then please call us as soon as possible to inform us. Our rooms do have a maximum occupancy due to fire regulations and our prescribed accommodation registration. Extra charges will be charged if more people arrive than what was originally booked. If we can’t fit the extra people into the motel then we may have to cancel your booking without refund”

We get a few calls saying that all the sudden the occupancy has gone up after getting this email and to book another room or change to a larger room.

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                                    • Topics Started 8
                                    • Replies 84

Like you Ash, I always am concerned about mishaps if the property is unattended. We live on site and many, many tines guests need advice or room access after locking themselves out. In 13 years there has been the dropped & broken glass/cup or plate disaster to clean up. Also Illness (read vomit) that requires fast attention & many other various incidents. Even as has happened recently very serious cyclone damage to 33% of our rooms. I am sure offsite owners/managers will have a system to assist guest with their emergencies.

Busybees
                                        Busybees

Participant
                                        • Topics Started 22
                                        • Replies 231

WOW!! I will pinch that wording if I may?? I have in mine,
                                          “Should you try to sleep more people than sleeping positions, you WILL be asked to leave regardless of the time, day OR NIGHT, and you may incur a fine. Also, should you sleep more than you have booked and paid for, you will also be asked to leave and pay the extra charges, and no refund will be given. Should you use more beds than you have paid for you will also be charged. There is no provision to change the bedding configurations listed on the websites.”
                                          but I might add yours to my first paragraph!!
                                          Thanks for that.

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                                      • Topics Started 8
                                      • Replies 84

Yes, the pool signs ! Our old sign said no glass vessels allowed, the argument was I have no boats or ships in the water ! ! Now as you experience glass to some people means a drinking glass not anything made from glass. As I close reception having taken the appropriate room fees, I place the late guests key out then when the late arrival presses the night bell I advise of the room number & where the key is to gain entry. I have mentioned in the past we do not do room service at all. Breakfast is complimentary, self served in our dining room from 7.30am and closes at 9.ooam. Hot breakfast available to be ordered and paid for the night before, but serviced in the dining room at the guests nominated time.

Busybees
                                        Busybees

Participant
                                        • Topics Started 22
                                        • Replies 231

Thanks Guys for your replies, appreciate it.
                                          Just another question… if your guests haven’t arrived before you lock up, what do you do?? If you rely on the confirmation from booking.no etc, how do you feel if they can’t access their room? “Too bad”??

We do send everybody a confirmation and information email to everyone regardless of where they book, our of courtesy, (and I wont stop doing it as it covers my butt!!) BUT like you tidyywazza, I honestly wonder how they make it to my door!!
                                          I was told once that you need to paint a picture for them… I put pictures of all sorts of “glass/crockery/bottles” and the wording “no glass or bottles” etc on the pool gate AND they still take it there!! one reply ws “it isnt a bottle”

ALL websites that we are listed show our times/policies etc..(just like everyone)but they dont read them. We don’t run a night bell(or live onsite) and clearly state office closing times,and you must ring before 6pm, then when they haven’t rung, we ring them at 6 and their reply usually is…I thought you were 24hrs!!

A classic example of not reading…. our breakfast menu lists JUICE under that lists COOKED BREAKFAST ALL served with tomato and 2 slices of toast. under that is BEVERAGES AND BREAD then under that is TIMES the guest ticked 1 bacon and eggs, 1 scrambled eggs, 2 white and toasted. I asked her is she wanted 4 slices of toast and she said no but I want toast with my eggs, so I showed her the menu and she said “I didn’t even see that”….. you really got to wonder sometimes.

Busybees
                                            Busybees

Participant
                                            • Topics Started 22
                                            • Replies 231

Cheers Tidywazza,
                                              We do have after-hours email, (to which we attach a motel mud map) explaining where the key safe is and that they need to ring before 6pm to obtain the code. BUt they STILL get it wring even though its there in black and white. We do take the phone home and we do have cameras so we can “see” whats going on (we dont live on site).
                                              I guess it boils down to us being over “babying” our guests, esp when its an OTA booking!!!! We give them everything and they still stuff up!!
                                              The pool…again…..say no more more!

Angimon

Participant
                                            • Topics Started 14
                                            • Replies 80

Hi Busybees

*) do you send a confirmation email on booking regardless of where they booked? or do you just rely on the confirmation from the OTA (if that’s where they booked)? No – we only send email if booked on our website, or if guest requests email (phone or walk-in)
                                              *) does that email information about hours/food/parking etc? hours – yes, food – no, parking – no, pet policy is explained VERY CLEARLY but they still ignore, smoking policy explained.
                                              *) do you contact the guest on the day of arrival to see what time they are going to arrive, again regardless of where they booked? No – if not in half hour before close may phone them.
                                              *) do you still run a night bell? do you live on site? Yes to night bell, yes to living on site.
                                              *) do you advertise your office hours and still get guests that are unaware of such times? YES! People only read or hear what they want these days!

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                                              • Topics Started 8
                                              • Replies 84

Hello BUSYBEES,

*) do you send a confirmation email on booking regardless of where they booked? or do you just rely on the confirmation from the OTA (if that’s where they booked)? NO I DO NOT. INFO ON OTA SITES IS MORE THAN SUFFICIENT.

*) does that email information about hours/food/parking etc? NO EMAILS ARE SENT

*) do you contact the guest on the day of arrival to see what time they are going to arrive, again regardless of where they booked? NOT DIRECTLY BUT DO SEND A REMINDER EMAIL HIGHLIGHTING RECEPTION / CHECK IN TIME & PHONE NUMBER TO CALL ME RE LATE CHECK IN ARRANGEMENTS.

*) do you still run a night bell? do you live on site? YES ACTIVE NIGHT BELL. OFTEN USED BY TRAVELERS VERY LATE & VERY EARLY HOURS OF NIGHTS & MORNINGS. I DON’T MIND, CANNOT AFFORD TO MISS ANY $ $ $

*) do you advertise your office hours and still get guests that are unaware of such times? VERY MUCH SO, BUT SOME DUMMIES DO NOT LOOK AT WHAT/WHEN/WHERE THEY HAVE BOOKED. I WONDER SOME TIMES HOW THEY MAKE IT TO MY DOOR !

Busybees
                                                  Busybees

Participant
                                                  • Topics Started 22
                                                  • Replies 231

So Tiddywazza,
                                                    Just interested you say “no emails are sent” (in capital letters)
                                                    then the next question under you say…do send a reminder email highlighting reception hours etc.

In your response to your next post, to Ash, regarding after hours. Do YOU really need to clean up broken lamps at 12am or clean up vomit at 2am? Don’t you warn them on check-in to keep the keys with them at all times, as there is no-one to let you in after your lock up time. Or more to the point don’t you need sleep?
                                                    I actually had one guest reply for me, when guest “A” was booking in, and I said, “hang onto your key because we lock up and go home and there is no-one here to let you in should you lock yourself out”. He said, “what if I need you after that”? Guest B replied, “if you needed something at K Mart would they come back and open up for you I don’t think so, don’t expect this lady too”!
                                                    I had someone else ask, “what if there is an emergency”? “Well ring 000 and ask for the ambos, fireys or the police”. I’m not trained in resus(I was when Moses was a boy) so if there is a medical emerg ring the ambos cos that’s all I’m going to do once I get here. If there is a fire then that’s pretty obvious. and if they are concerned for their welfare call the police, I am certainly not going to go out after dark by myself!
                                                    Most guest I have found will clean up to their best ability, and tell you in the morning.Then you can hook in then and get it cleaned. The ones that break something dont usually tell you anyway, fear of having to pay replacement cost!!
                                                    In our almost 6 years we have only maybe 10 people lock themselves out after hours, so I guess we’re pretty lucky. We do have cameras so dependent on the time, I will go back and let them in! Thankfully we dont get cyclones here!!
                                                    cheers!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.