• Creator

Topic

Brumby

Participant

Our office hours are 0700 to 2200 (10.00PM) Recently we received a lot of bookings by guests arriving after close of office. In most cases particularly returned guests w made arrangements for key collection. We did not see the guests as sometimes they leave before office opens. Because of the prevalance of credit card fraud (we lost $400 recently) we have instigated some credit checks to ensure that these are genuine guests. With OTA we have check-in instructions to contact us prior to arrival to make arrangements. Occasionally we had to call the guests. Recently we had Bookings from Wotif that stated ETA after office hours. In one case the guest would not provide sufficient information. We contacted Wotif as required and Wotif sent an email to guest.(Guest was on the road so best means of contact was mobile but Wotif chose not to contact guest by phone). Gust finally contacted Wotif at midnight only to be told to get alternative accommodation. I treated the booking as no show and charged accordingly. Wotif demanded refund and I refused. 2 days ago another booking in the morning. Rand guest immediatly but phone not answered. Tried again then rand Wotif. They rang the customer but no response. They emailed customer. At 2100 Wotif rang to advise that they had no success in contacting customer. Apparently Customer arrives in town at 23.30 and then checks her email when she sees second email from Wotif to contact them. By email at 0607 Wotif claimed that they had phoned me at night but I did not pick up phone. I advised them that my phone system records all incoming calls and there was no record of any calls. I also have a Night Bell which did not ring. Again Wotif relocates guest elsewhere. Guests rang me directly to get refund as Wotif refused to refund her. In discussions(sometimes Heated) guest admits that she turned off her phone and it does not have a message bank. She does not check emails during day only at night. I explained to her that as she had booked at motel to arrive after closing hours and had not made any arrangements she was at fault. No only that but when she switched off her phone, she chose to close off any way to reach her. As she chose not to check her emails we( the motel and Wotif ) had no means to contact her. I treated her booking as no show and Wotif refuses to refund her.
      My stand is that if we overbook- Wotif demands that we find an alternate equivalent or better accommodation at our cost. What If (Wotif) stuffs up it wants us to refund customer. I have refused.
      My stand is that Wotif has a very sophisticated software programme that can stop people from booking a motel for ETA after it’s closing hours or gives warning that customer must make arrangements at own risk. Wotif requires motel to verify guest ID. It cannot be done if the office is closed. Motelier is then taking all the risk by accepting other means of ID. Wotif is happy to take a booking fee but refuses to accept any responsibility.
      I would like members input in this.

Viewing 21 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

Brumby

Participant
        • Topics Started 3
        • Replies 30

My answer has been, DO YOUR Research. Motel’s own Sites offer the BEST deals and generally are more flexible. Wotif charges a $5.50 booking fee and $25 for any changes. So why do you use Wotif? You should be asking WOTIF.
          Wotif did ring me once to complain that rates on another OTA was lower. My answer, lower your commission. Wotif said you are in breach of contract. I said Complain to me in writing, so that I can give it ACCC. Never heard from them. No OTA can enforce a contract that is anti competitive. Many OTA’s, NEED IT NOW, Stay247 etc still charge 10%. They get my rooms at a lower rate: X+Commission. Unless we all start doing it, OTA’s will continue to bully us. Don’t rely on Accommodation Association or AHA. They are useless.

Angimon

Participant
          • Topics Started 14
          • Replies 80

If you charge rates high enough to cover commission on OTA sites, what do you say to people if they have booked on WOTIF etc believing they are getting the best deal?

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
            • Topics Started 22
            • Replies 232

I just rang wotif, he put me through product services, and she couldn’t tell me when this was going to start AND it hasn’t been confirmed as yet!!! (yeah right) but they will definitely be in contact with all of us with the re-contracting etc in the near future.
              Time to put the commission up. If everyone did it NOW across all OTAs maybe as a combined team we would see them lowered but not everyone plays the game!

Brumby

Participant
              • Topics Started 3
              • Replies 30

imageBallina Colonial Motel

Participant
                • Topics Started 10
                • Replies 87

I have yet to receive any information from Wotif or Expedia on this one. However, last week I did get a call from Agoda saying they were going to increase their rates and the exact details would be coming through by e-mail in the next week or two.
                  It seems to me that Expedia are currently charging a whole range of commission rates. I currently only pay 10%, but others are paying 12%, 15% and more. I think that it all depends on you size of operation and I suspect that it is the big boys they are after hammering?

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                  • Topics Started 22
                  • Replies 232

Cheers Brumby!

Angimon

Participant
                    • Topics Started 14
                    • Replies 80

Thanks Brumby… most appreciated.

Brumby

Participant
                      • Topics Started 3
                      • Replies 30

Try this link for the full article on
                        http://www.traveltrends.biz/ttn555-wotif-commissions-to-rise-by-25-as-expedia-rolls-out-new-contract-to-hoteliers/

I fully agree with Busybees, accom providers have to add commission to the OTA site. I do. When a consumer decides to travel to a destination he/she does a search- several websites appear. Those paid one first then best SEO site. If you motel site is on first page and you are cheapest, guess where the booking will go.
                        Accom providers have to educate our guests to book directly, no fees more flexible cancellation policies and maybe freebies.

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                        • Topics Started 22
                        • Replies 232

Here is the excerpt below, from the AAA, to which Angimon refers. We like her,are unable to “read more”.
                          Surely expedia/wotif would not be so stupid as to increase their commission, especially in the light of wotif’s falling status as NO1 OTA!!!

I have said this before and will say it again, I wish every motel would add the relevant commission to their on line tariff so that it encourages ( and teaches) the consumer to use the accommodation provider’s own booking button.

OTAs are a necessary evil it surely is if they DO charge 25%!

Wotif COMMISSION TO RISE BY 25%
                          Expedia Rolls Out New Contract

By Martin Kelly – Travel Trends
                          Expedia is attempting to move all Wotif.com contracted properties onto a single company-wide contract and is raising site commission four months after buying the Australian OTA last November. Read More…

Angimon

Participant
                          • Topics Started 14
                          • Replies 80

I saw a headline today from the Accommodation Association of Australia that WOTIF commissions will rise by 25% (ie 12 – 15%). Does anyone have the complete article, or can they publish the link?

Participant
                            • Topics Started 10
                            • Replies 87

I know that we are talking ‘Wotif’ here, but yesterday an Expedia customer left their booking confirmation behind, so I had a little read, as it is not something we normally see.

Check-in details are very specific, particularly where you close at say 9pm and customers arriving after that time need to ring for entry details etc. However, what was interesting is obviously a standard wording not approved by me that states:

‘Your room will be guaranteed until midnight for late arrival. If you are arriving after midnight, please contact the hotel or Expedia.com so that arrangements can be made accordingly.’

This very much sounds like we are not obliged to accept anyone arriving after midnight?

Next time I have to talk to Expedia, I might just ask this question.

StephanieStephanie

Participant
                              • Topics Started 6
                              • Replies 43

LOVE IT. I will use it. I am grumpy if woken up in the night and $50 would ease the pain

Stephanie@ Redcliffe Motor Inn

Brumby

Participant
                                • Topics Started 3
                                • Replies 30

I have a condition in my check-in procedures. Get me out of bed after closing then have the privilage to pay me $50.

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                                  • Topics Started 22
                                  • Replies 232

Hi there, I have just copied a post that is up the forum ladder a wee bit…….I just want to clarify that I only wrote the first 2 sentences (hopefully now in bold) I was asking the question about increasing the tariff on wotif to reflect the commission. Not too sure what the license etc is about!!

Busybees wrote:

Hi Brumby I had thought about doing this but wondered how it would affect my bookings!! Have you noticed a difference ow have you always done this?
                                    I have always asked for ID or received enough information to satisfy myself that it is a genuine booking. Despite this I got caught out once. Once a guest refused to show me his licence at check-in and I phoned Wotif in his presence and them of the situation. They told him to show me the licence. After copping a lot of abuse I finally got the licence duly recorded the number then kicked him out. Told him that he was a suitable guest and i did not trust him with my room. No refund either. Did my bookings decrease, I have not noticed. I have told Wotif that if they try to bully me I will report them to ASIC for anti competitive trading. I will not be coerced by them

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                                    • Topics Started 22
                                    • Replies 232

I feel sorry for you Stephanie. So far we have been lucky, (probably just jinxed myself!!) but we have had one booking to arrive at 12midnight, and I rang wotif before 8.30 when we close and told them we don’t accept bookings after 10pm, and that they (wotif) would have to make other arrangements, and they did. We don’t have a night bell and the outside phone has a notice over it and it clearly states “the office is closed and wont open again until 8am.This is not a night bell and will only go to an message advising of the office hours”. Not sure how many people may have tried to ring but we also put on the ‘dnd’, so we cant hear a thing!!

Booking.com are becoming my pet hate. They are getting worse with their provider service. I try to educate all our guests on, “checking the otas to see where they want to stay and then ring the property directly, saves booking and cancellation fees and you are able to get all the info before you arrive at your destination”. If only all motels would do this, we could then have them (otas) over a barrel for a change!!

StephanieStephanie

Participant
                                      • Topics Started 6
                                      • Replies 43

Well we finally got caught. A booking.com booking that was made at 11.39pm from outside the motel. Now I am stop-selling all rooms when I go to bed.

Participant
                                        • Topics Started 10
                                        • Replies 87

Having the details of ‘late check-in’ arrangements on your or third party website does not mean a thing. They will either abide by it or ignore it. Given that Booking.com do not even have the ETA as a mandatory field, just goes to show whose side they are on.

You are expected to provide a 24hr service just like any other capitol city accommodation provider!

I am not sure how you combat this? Any ‘condition’ MUST appear on the customers confirmation e-mail to be valid, but if you look at most of them, they do not even provide the terms and condition of your cancellation policy, which I thought by law they had too?

You can prevent ‘same day booking’ via your Channel Manager to eliminate some of this problem, but that puts you at a disadvantage

What gives me some hope is human nature. I have had three instances of this in three days (we close at 9pm):

The first thought that it was perfectly acceptable to turn up at 10pm without calling us having given a duff phone number. They were growled at and I will probably get a bad review!

The second abode by the rules, phones and was so grateful that he was able to get into his room at 11.30pm.

The third rang at 5.30pm and was so surprised that we answered the phone and were not closed!

Say no more!

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                                          • Topics Started 22
                                          • Replies 232

NO WAY are you the only ones. We do NOT allow checkins after 10pm, and it clearly states on our website what our office hours and says if you arriving between 8.30pm-10pm than you must ring before 8pm to make arrangements for your key.
                                            We too are over justifying our policies even though they are all stated. I have actuallly included into the room details that “pop up” when you hover the room!!
                                            We have found that the majority of people that will be arriving after hours are the dodgey ones. I know this is a general statement but its almost 98%, have more people/kids than have booked for, or are dirty buggers that arrive late and leave early!!
                                            I wish it were one of few mandatory fields that EVERY OTA must include on the booking form, mobile, email and ETA.

BMM

Participant
                                            • Topics Started 6
                                            • Replies 46

We have a policy of NO AFTER HOURS CHECK IN which is clearly stated on all our booking sites.
                                              If the guest cannot be contacted, we charge full tariff. This has never been disputed by WOTIF and they have always stated that as long as our policy is clearly stated that payment is valid.
                                              If we are able to contact guest and they are travelling late, we advise them that we will not be able to accommodate and refer them to other motels. We generally will not charge in this instance.
                                              We are however sick and tired of justifying this to guests who always say that “You are the only Motel that doesn’t leave keys”. Who knows this may be true, but this is our policy

Brumby

Participant
                                              • Topics Started 3
                                              • Replies 30

Busybees wrote:

Hi Brumby I had thought about doing this but wondered how it would affect my bookings!! Have you noticed a difference ow haave you always dome this?
                                                I have always asked for ID or received enough information to satisfy myself that it is a genuine booking. Despite this I got caught out once. Once a guest refused to show me his licence at check-in and I phoned Wotif in his presence and them of the situation. They told him to show me the licence. After copping a lot of abuse I finally got the licence duly recorded the number then kicked him out. Told him that he was a suitable guest and i did not trust him with my room. No refund either. Did my bookings decrease, I have not noticed. I have told Wotif that if they try to bully me I will report them to ASIC for anti competitive trading. I will not be coerced by them.

StephanieStephanie

Participant
                                                • Topics Started 6
                                                • Replies 43

In 18 months we have NEVER had that happen. I don’t know if there is some set up in our system that stops the bookings coming in after hours or if we have just been lucky

Brumby

Participant
                                                  • Topics Started 3
                                                  • Replies 30

Just a quick update. Below from Wotif.
                                                    “We appreciate that you have tried to follow correct procedures with regards to the late check-in for this customer by contacting our Customer Service Centre.

As a gesture of goodwill and as you are a valued supplier, we (Wotif) will arrange for full payment for this booking although this guest has been refunded in full.

To help in future situations, if you are unable to contact a customer to arrange their late check-in, please provide our Customer Service Centre with specific instructions to be passed to the guest. This should include details of where the key will be left and any after-hours contact numbers for when the guest arrives at the property.

Thankyou again for your continued support.”

I rest my case.

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.