Motel Mingle Forums Guest Complaints Why Wait Until Check Out?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Mr Petersen Mr Petersen 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Creator

Topic

CVM

Participant

It totally frustrates me when guests want to complain about something when checking out in the morning. Most of the time the complaint is very minor and we can sort it out straight away.

A prime example is that a guest says that they were freezing last night because the air con was blowing cold air. Well, on inspection I see straight away that the cooling was on instead of heating. Two annoying things about this is 1. I ask the guests not to play around with the settings as they are already set for heating. 2. If they told me about the problem straight away instead of waiting until next morning, they would have had a warm night.
      SO FRUSTRATING!

• Author

Replies

Mr Petersen
      Mr Petersen

Blocked
      • Topics Started 4
      • Replies 61

Human nature. Generally horrible.

Busybees
        Busybees

Participant
        • Topics Started 22
        • Replies 232

I ALWAYS start my repsonse to “thanks for taking the time to write a review be it good or bad” I then write a lttle speil. I then address each comment individually eg: no hot water, then tell the world how we called the plumber out at 9pm while they (the guest) were still here, so that the world knows we take each complaint seriously.This guest even tho complained about the hot water (the 3 kids had had a 25 minute shower each!!) still gave us a 3.5/5!! And I always end on a positive note to the guest. Glad you liked our spacious family room which fitted your requiremsnts perfectly!
          I recently wrote on the bottom of our last “bad” review (thankfully we have only had 3) and said” why is it the only negative reviews we get are from dishonest people, those trying to sneak in more guests than they paid for, or guests that have made bad decisions(kicked in my door). of course you cant get a return response to that though!!

Titania

Participant
          • Topics Started 2
          • Replies 3

It is so interesting how technology is impacting this line of business – I find it fascinating. If someone has left bad feedback, I always try and respond in a positive way. Sometimes I need to wait for a day or two to cool down before responding to the negative comments 🙂 Every comment gives the owner an opportunity to show that they care about the level of service they provide to guests.

I have been influenced by the motels I see doing this very well. They always start off with a comment like “Thanks for the feedback as this allows us to improve guests services……..” – and then go on to subtly respond to the feedback.

toptownmotel

Participant
            • Topics Started 1
            • Replies 7

I agree that you should let everyone know what you offer. This way people might not agree with what others have written as long as you do it nicely.

Brumby

Participant
              • Topics Started 3
              • Replies 30

It is frustrating but people read tripadvisor. Therefore every review should be responded in a positive way. Tell the world what you give for free.

allseasons

Participant
                • Topics Started 0
                • Replies 5

We advertise we have a Complimentary continental breakfast.
                  After one of our guests left I noticed they put a comment on TripAdvisor the breakfast they “PAID” for was only toast and cereal.
                  In fact we have 2 types of toast 4 types of cereal 3 fruit juices yoghurt fruit salad, Tea and coffee and is totally free. I could not be bothered replying but I felt like it.

Brumby

Participant
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Replies 30

I agree, but worse is when instead of letting the manager know and allowing it to be fixed, they go on TripAdvisor and gripe. A bit late. Unfortunately TripAdvisor will not allow you to name the guest but happy to name the motel.These are selfish people. If I can identify them, I write directly to them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.