Motel Mingle Forums Relief Managers Why is it so hard to get good relief managers?

• Creator

Topic

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster

Finding answers.        Sharing ideas.        Solving problems.

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

Cassius

Participant
        • Topics Started 2
        • Replies 25

We have managed a number of motels from 55 room to 8 room motels and are currently managing a motel in Vic. We are about to purchase a Toyota Coaster motor home and start travelling and working as relief managers where we can. A number of positions advertised to which we have made a reply – in all cases no response or suddenly the motel concerned has found someone local and yet keep advertising. Some even advertise for relief managers for “next week”.
          We know our quiet periods and our busy periods, we know now when our busy weekends will be for the whole year as we liaise with the major function / sports venues in this area. Not just footie but BMX, softball, basketball and many other activities – even a fishing competition.
          We can plan our times when we want relief up to three months in advance.
          We did manage to have relief for 4 weeks one year with one couple of relief managers, we suffered bad reviews as a result, there was a hit of a mouse plague in the area. In the four nights after they left we killed 78 mice and problem was solved. They did not believe in keeping any booking details / records on paper. Motel office stank of cig smoke. Now very wary of any relief managers and at up to $300 per day – I don’t think so.

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
          • Topics Started 38
          • Replies 64

Another great find Busybees! I actually made contact with Bill to get permission to publish his article and he has agreed. I have published the article in our article section.

Finding answers.        Sharing ideas.        Solving problems.

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
            • Topics Started 22
            • Replies 232

Fo8und this article thought it may be of interest to some. Most of this I already do, read the original post (red bible) but for some, this might just what you need to get you started.

Written by Bill Atkinson, Relief Manager

To read the article, just click on the following link: What to Consider before you leave on holiday

Finally…When you have completed all this information you will certainly need a holiday – add on an extra week

robguy27

Participant
              • Topics Started 2
              • Replies 34

Busybees – no no no definitely you are not asking too much. We feel for you as we have been in the same boat. It is so frustrating. You pay them good money. Our procedures are exactly the same as yours including a folder with everything in – (what more can you do). I think we need a register of bad relief managers as this is happening more & more often. We are also due to take a break but of course holding us back is securing capable relief managers – so we don’t get to take that break that we really need to replenish us. Somehow we would like the names of these relief managers ?

Angimon

Participant
                  • Topics Started 14
                  • Replies 80

Robguy27
                    I think your idea of a bad relief manager register is great. Maybe if it was just a list of people who are on motel mingle that are willing to share their experiences with others? We have recently returned from a break, and each day since have had appalling reviews on Trip Advisor. I would gladly share the name of this couple to ensure others don’t suffer the same fate as us.

L & P

Participant
                      • Topics Started 0
                      • Replies 3

Why not start recommending relief managers who are good at what they do. No legal liability in doing this and a bonus for the ones who are doing a good job!

L & P

Angimon

Participant
                          • Topics Started 14
                          • Replies 80

Sounds good, but as GOOD relief managers are so hard to find, how many people would recommend their own and risk losing them? Relief managers will give you a reference of someone who they think they work well for, how many of them will give the name of someone’s business they destroy? Also, I can’t see any legal liability if someone contacts me direct and asks if the people they are considering for relief are the ones that had the terrible reviews…it’s not me publishing the relief managers name, and the reviews are there on Trip Advisor for all to see… maybe I’m wrong on that though…

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                              • Topics Started 22
                              • Replies 232

Hi Angimon,
                                I just had a chuckle when I read your last post about giving away your reccomended managers… where were my new managers when I needed them??? oh thats right I gave them your number and thats where they were, your place!!! Lucky we’ve been having friendly interaction, (due to motel mingle), or I might have been cross! LOL
                                Having said that we are considering becoming relief managers due to the shortage of honest reliable ones, so WE may be looking for recommendations. will keep you posted!!!

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                        • Topics Started 22
                        • Replies 232

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET RELIEF MANAGERS WHO TRULY OPERATE YOUR MOTEL AS IF IT WAS THEIR OWN???????
                          They say in their adds that they will, but in all honesty they dont. We are relly proud of the way we have lifted the standard, especially in cleanliness but when you come home from a 3 day break to find things not the same, you really wonder if its worth going away!!
                          Do we expect too much for our money?? We have paid between $100-250 + meals + bed per day for a couple. We have 19 rooms with 3 permanent rooms 2 of which need changing twice a day.
                          The duties include: strip the beds & replace the linen, put on the pillow slips, hang the towels,and empty the bins before the cleaners get in, then refill the condiments and fresh milk and wash up. When the girls have finished they put the cleaning towels in the washing machine, and “we” hang them out. “We” also check the cleaners work, a pre check-in check, Obviously anwser the phone, check in and out guests, sweep the pathways,water,clean the pool as needed, scoop the pool everyday,cook breakfast and if less than 3 night meals, cook them also. Also the clean the 3 permanent rooms
                          I have a folder that has a step by step direction on using RMS, “what to do and when”, where all the spares for everything is, where the taps/hoses etc are. There is a list of all our tradies, beside the phone.
                          ARE we expecting too much???????

Viewing 4 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.