This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  flashlight 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator

Topic

Paul
    Paul

Participant

Oh learned people, may I ask your advice?

We have always placed either jugs or bottles with stoppers with water in rooms. The other day, a relief manager took all our bottles out and told us that it is illegal and water in rooms must be in unopened bottles (we are in Queensland).
      This is the first I’ve heard of this and quite frankly think this is BS – why would motel supplies sell them? Any feedback would be welcomed….

Paul & Val

• Author

Replies

flashlight

Participant
      • Topics Started 1
      • Replies 15

I was watching “Hotel Impossible” not that long ago. Hotel Impossible is an American show where an expert tries to help Hotels in trouble by sorting out what their problems are and then helping to fix the problems.

The expert criticized a Hotel in one show for leaving water and ice in the fridge/freezer. An absolute No No he said, because you never know what is in the water or ice. It is amazing what some guests will do!

I also have a friend who said he would never use an iron in a Motel because he knew of a case where a male (I assume) urinated in the iron!!!!

Having said that, it is a Relief Manager’s job to uphold the standards of their employers, unless of course those standards can perhaps break laws or health regs. Also, most Australians want water and ice in their fridge.

Paul
        Paul

Participant
        • Topics Started 24
        • Replies 80

PS – They’re no longer our relief managers!

Paul
          Paul

Participant
          • Topics Started 24
          • Replies 80

Let’s just say they didn’t have any specific support for this ‘law’ thing and it’s something we’ve always done in QLD (supply fresh drinking water in jugs or bottles to the rooms). I’ve contacted the health department and food services dept and I’ll see what they come back with but I believe as long as the practice is safe (i.e. food handling safe) then I don’t see an issue but would be happy to be told different.

Angimon

Participant
            • Topics Started 14
            • Replies 80

Hi Paul
              I am not sure what the law is in Queensland… maybe contact the accommodation association, someone in the head office if you’re part of a chain, or the health department?
              We personally don’t have water in the rooms… we have a fridge at reception where guests can purchase water if they wish, or drink the tap water if not.
              Did you ask the relief managers where they got their info? If I employed the relief I wouldn’t be happy that this is how they handled the situation – surely you had a hand-over where they could have advised you of the ‘law’ and maybe sourced documentation to support this.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.