Motel Mingle Forums Guest Reviews Trip Advisor

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  pnm 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator

Topic

Brumby

Participant

A”Guest”put in a a terrible review on trip advisor. As the guest had not stayed here and evidence was given to Tripadvisor here is their response.
      Thank you for your response, and for sending along your e-mail correspondence with this guest.

We have completed our investigation into your concern and have found that the review in question complies with our submission guidelines. This review will remain published on TripAdvisor.

We understand that there are two sides to every story and I see that you have written a management response. Your response appears immediately below the review in question so that travelers may also understand your perspective.

For your future reference, if a guest has threatened a negative review of your property because you didn’t comply with his/her demands and a review has not been posted yet, please submit a potential blackmail review report as soon as possible via the Management Center:

First, select “Manage your reviews”, then click the link under “Concerned about a review?”
      Select “Report fraud” where it says “*Please tell us what the issue is:”
      Select “Report blackmail threat” and complete the form with as many details as possible.
      Retain as much documentation relating to the report as you can including emails, voicemails, etc.
      If a low-rated review matching the details of your report is submitted, our support team will be alerted. You may be contacted for additional information that proves blackmail was involved. We recommend retaining any relevant documentation that might be useful in this process.

It’s important to note that our enhanced functionality only works for reviews that have not yet been submitted. It will also only be effective if the information in the review matches what you’ve included in your blackmail report.

Kind Regards,
      Amie
      TripAdvisor Content Integrity
      Any suggestions

• Author

Replies

pnm

Participant
      • Topics Started 4
      • Replies 17

A tip for anyone having issues with Trip Advisor, when you inevitably get a “review” putting you and your motel down, and Trip Advisor refuse to remove it, post the following as your response “This review and its poster are the current subject of a defamation claim, Trip Advisor have been notified to remove the subject review.”

9 times out of ten, the poster will remove the review and also email you apologizing, the remaining 1 time, Trip Advisor are quick to remove the subject review.

Of course, when you have 90% + 4/5 rating reviews, it is sometimes fun to leave a 1/2 rated review and have a field day pointing this out to the reviewer in your response that they are simply out of sync with all the rest and their review brings great laughs to fellow guests checking in.

Paul
        Paul

Participant
        • Topics Started 24
        • Replies 80

Too true Angimon, a perfect world we all wish for. It’s frankly quite disgusting that ‘guests’ can put whatever they like on sites such as TA and we, as the motel, have very little ‘right of reply’. We had a ‘guest’ recently who put an awful review on TA about us simply because he didn’t get his own way when he tried to cancel at 4pm one afternoon when he had booked through an OTA. We told him we’d have to charge him as we have a 24 hour cancellation policy and the room is his. The review was terrible and slated us for not giving him his money back. When did he realise he wasn’t go to stay? Over it, I really am!

Angimon

Participant
          • Topics Started 14
          • Replies 80

Wouldn’t it be great if the review feature of TA was like Uber, where the accommodation provider was able to rate guests? There could be an overall score, then scores for things such as booking correctly (right number of guests etc), state of room on departure, ability to follow instructions, etc… and the guest would have to identify themselves, the same way our properties are identified on line. Ah, in a perfect world…

Ballina Colonial Motel

Participant
            • Topics Started 10
            • Replies 87

Very interesting. Maybe the worm will start to turn, although $.5m Euros is pocket money to these guys. If they loose the appeal however, that potentially opens up an admission that they are not in control of the review making system and could lead to other counties attacking their credibility.

Below is another hit I published on this, with respect to the damaging effect negative reviews have:

‘A recent survey showed that 15% of those surveyed wouldn’t visit a business if it had a single negative online review to its name, even if surrounded by a sea of positive feedback. Can we afford to lose 3 out of every 20 customers based off one person’s opinion?

The survey also revealed that one in five 18 to 44 year olds would prefer to make a complaint to a business in public via its social media page or an independent online review site. When asked what was most appealing about leaving a negative review online, 31% said they enjoyed the anonymity, while a further 29% did so in order to avoid confrontation.

It would appear that most Australian’s don’t appreciate the damage negative reviews can have on small business, which represent close to 90% of all Australian businesses. Negative online feedback has the potential to severely tarnish the reputation of a business and even cripple it financially.

Would you buy a motel that has a history of negative reviews? They stick like glue and are there forever and we have to live with it! Now who is really being treated unfairly here and should we be raising a complaint with Fair Trading?’

Brumby

Participant
              • Topics Started 3
              • Replies 30

Hi Guys, Check this out. TripAdvisor fined 500,000Euro for posting false reviews.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/dec/23/italy-fines-tripadvisor-500000

Ballina Colonial Motel

Participant
                • Topics Started 10
                • Replies 87

Love it or hate it, TripAdvisor is here to stay and unless the ACCC get some teeth nothing will change. They, Tripadvisor do not care a hoot who or what comments are made; they make too much money out of it.

Have you ever thought that one bad review could impact your ability to sell your motel? New owners inherit those reviews.
                  You cannot even opt-out unless you can prove your motel was burnt to the ground! Yet a restaurant can reinvent itself with a new name and start all over again. Hey, maybe I’ll change the name of the motel!

I did read from one motelier that if you challenge them legally over a fraudulent review, they will back off. The quote was that if ‘you and Tripadvisor knew that they review was fraudulent, they were then also equally being fraudulent and could be prosecuted’.

I have recently being monitoring the ‘effect’ of reviews on my scoring and ranking. I don’t get many reviews, so it was easy to do. I customer gave me a glowing worded review and five out of five for Sleep Quality, Cleanliness and Service, but scored me overall just ‘Average’. This, together with a similar review two years earlier was the 2nd and 3rd worst reviews I have ever had. Compounding this was an 8% fall in my scoring and a loss of three ranking positions in Ballina. Tripadvisor did not even answer my complaint! This particular reviewer has scored over 50% of her reviews as ‘average’.

I rest my case.

Brumby

Participant
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Replies 30

Here is an article that may interest members. If this applies to gaming than it also applies to other business, eg Motels.
                    Australia’s consumer watchdog is flexing its muscles by hauling a US provider of computer games to court over alleged false and misleading representations made to Australian gamers.

While Valve Corporation does not have a physical presence in Australia, as it provides online computer games to Australians through its Stream distribution platform, it is subject to Australian Consumer Law.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission launched legal action against Valve on August 29, alleging it made a number of false and misleading representations to Australian consumers, including that consumers were not entitled to refunds on games sold through Stream; that Valve had excluded, restricted or modified statutory guarantees or warranties relating to product quality; that Valve was not obliged to repair, replace or provide a refund if the consumer had not attempted to resolve an issue with Valve; and that statutory consumer guarantees did not apply to the games sold by Valve.

ACCC chairman Rod Sims said in a statement Australian consumers are protected by Australian Consumer Law, regardless of where the company selling to them is based.

“The Australian Consumer Law applies to any business providing goods or services within Australia,” said Sims.

“Valve may be an American-based company with no physical presence in Australia, but it is carrying on business in Australia by selling to Australian consumers, who are protected by the Australian Consumer Law.”

Sims said the guarantees provided by Australian Consumer Law cannot be excluded, restricted or modified by individual companies.

“It is a breach of the Australian Consumer Law for businesses to state that they do not give refunds under any circumstances, including for gifts and during sales,” said ACCC chairman Rod Sims in a statement.

“Under the Australian Consumers Law, consumers can insist on a refund or replacement at their option if a product has a major fault.”

SmartCompany contacted Valve Corporation but did not receive a response prior to publication.

However, Doug Lombardi, Valve’s vice president of marketing, told Kotaku the company is cooperating with the consumer watchdog.

“We are making every effort to cooperate with the Australian officials on this matter while continuing to provide Steam services to our customers across the world, including Australian gamers,” said Lombardi.

TressCox partner Alistair Little told SmartCompany while it is not unusual for the ACCC to take action against international companies, the normal circumstances would be for the action to be taken against the Australian operations of such companies, such as the recent action taken against international online shopping community Lyoness.

In the absence of an Australian operation, Little says there could be “issues in terms of enforcing the types of judgment the ACCC will be seeking”.

“At the end of the day, it is not easy to enforce a judgment on an overseas company,” says Little.

While Little says there are means of enforcing judgments in overseas jurisdictions in civil lawsuits, overseas courts generally won’t recognise a foreign entity’s ability to enforce a penalty.

Little says the ACCC will be hoping Valve chooses to comply with any order in relation to its treatment of Australian consumers, but if it doesn’t, the regulator may be forced to pursue other avenues for relief, including contempt of court actions.

The fact that Valve is an online business also makes the ACCC’s task difficult, says Little.

“It is very difficult to stop a website operating,” says Little.

Little says online businesses will also often attempt to use one set of consumer trading conditions across multiple countries and therefore it is extremely likely the terms “will collide with someone’s consumer protection laws”. In these cases, the terms should be modified for different territories.

“What they should have done is say, ‘Australian consumers, please note’”, says Little.

He says it’s a lesson for Australian businesses selling in other countries.

“Don’t assume what works in Australian will work overseas,” says Little.

“If you are trading in other jurisdictions it would be very worthwhile to make use of local lawyers to ensure your terms apply with local consumer protections.”
                    I will welcome input.

PEPE

Participant
                    • Topics Started 6
                    • Replies 6

Tripadvisor don’t care about anyone’s business. I have had 4 reviews from ficticious guests. I have asked tripadvisor to request a motel receipt to prove they have stayed but they refused. You can review any motel you want from your lounge room and not have even been to that country/state /city.
                      There site is just bull…. and they take no responsibility for any review posted if you read the little disclaimer at the bottom of the review. In summing up TRIPADVISOR SUCKS !!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.