Motel Mingle Forums AAA Tourism Star Ratings is to be no longer!

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  pnm 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Replies

pnm

Participant
    • Topics Started 4
    • Replies 17

About time AAA got out of the industry, they were well behind the times when you see a AAA 3 star rated motel outscoring a AAA 4 star rated motel on sites such as trip advisor. What will be interesting is for those in the leasehold motels and how their landlords react. Most leases have a clause in them for this very event that then places the requirement to renovate open to the landlords interpretation so long as it is “reasonable”. I imagine some of the less desireable landlords will be jumping with glee at this happening rubbing their hands in anticipation of having their motel entirely renovated.

Applegum

Participant
      • Topics Started 2
      • Replies 21

Hello All,
        Did everyone receive the email regarding the continuation of the Star Ratings Scheme through Australian Tourism Industry Council (ATIC), it sounds like we can continue to display our star rating in the same format.

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
        • Topics Started 8
        • Replies 84

Yes Angimon we are able to keep using the stars in the future. See AAA’s response below….

Thank you for your email.

At this stage after 30 June 2017 you will be able to display the generic Stars symbols as your rating if you wish. Any reference to the Australian Auto Clubs or AAA logos must be removed.

Kind regards,

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
          • Topics Started 8
          • Replies 84

So from end of June we are no longer to display AAA’s stars as our rating but. can we use another style of star say a 3 pointed star not AAA’s 5 pointed star ? ?

Angimon

Participant
              • Topics Started 14
              • Replies 80

Hi TidyWazza

I’ve reread the letter they sent me with the attachment of logos to no longer be used. Nowhere on the attachment does it show that the Stars are not to be displayed. It only specifically shows that the Auto Club logos are not to be used.

MVM

Participant
                • Topics Started 10
                • Replies 58

Yep, So basically you become self rated and can’t use any of their stuff to promote your property (stickers on glass, AAA rated etc).

Angimon

Participant
                    • Topics Started 14
                    • Replies 80

Just wondering… as they are ceasing operation, who is policing the removal of ‘stuff’? I know I won’t be rushing to remove anything. We were only just inspected, and that apparently lasts for two years.

Also, Tidywazza, I think a 3 pointed star is commonly called a triangle πŸ˜‰

Portlandcabbage
                        Portlandcabbage

Participant
                        • Topics Started 2
                        • Replies 22

Hi Angimon

If you read the “Frequently asked questions” attachment that was sent with the “logos to be removed” attachment, the first item states:

Monday 27 February, 2017
                          Frequently asked questions

1. My property is currently Star Rated. What does this mean for me?

You have to stop using and displaying the current Star Rating and the equivalent star logo as of 30 June 2017 unless your agreement with SRA ends earlier.

Angimon

Participant
                            • Topics Started 14
                            • Replies 80

thanks PortlandCabbage
                              I might just pretend I didn’t see that… as I said previously, my property was only just reviewed and I was told that would last until the next review in 18month to 2years… and if another review doesn’t happen it could last forever πŸ˜‰ It is a pity though, because a lot of our older guests do rely on star ratings to know what they are booking. Also, I made sure I had an ad in the last printed AAA guides.

Portlandcabbage
                                Portlandcabbage

Participant
                                • Topics Started 2
                                • Replies 22

Hi Angimon
                                  All good, easy to miss. I agree, it is a shame, my guests relied on it as well, as did I. We just have to hope that when motels do their own self-rating, that they do the right thing and rate themselves honestly.
                                  Cheers πŸ™‚

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                              • Topics Started 8
                              • Replies 84

Angimon, A triangle would boring, take a peek below…..

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-1b356f203ed247953508aaf2f072220f

Angimon

Participant
                                  • Topics Started 14
                                  • Replies 80

Mercedes?

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                                      • Topics Started 8
                                      • Replies 84

If we copied Mercedes they would be cranky !

Busybees
                              Busybees

Participant
                              • Topics Started 22
                              • Replies 231

Yep!Part of our lease agreement is to maintain our star ratings. I have sent the email to our solicitor so he have a new clause added or the old one deleted AND he deal with the landlord!! Would be ice to get a new lease drawn up…never going to happen πŸ™

Busybees
                                  Busybees

Participant
                                  • Topics Started 22
                                  • Replies 231

I am going to leave my certificate on the wall, just remove the logos and the words “star ratings Aust”, as per the excerpt from the email received from SRA. My clear sticker on the door has no logos, no STR, just says “officially rated accommodation”, so it will be staying too!!

“As the program will cease to operate after June 30 you should remove mention of the Star Ratings Scheme and any references to any of the Australian Motoring Clubs (whether by name or use of their logos) from all your marketing materials.”

As for the lease there is a clause underneath, so no need for a new lease…bugger!!

MVM

Participant
                                  • Topics Started 10
                                  • Replies 58

Not sure what to think about this.. Impacts in a few different areas
                                    Some leaseholds contracts have that they have to keep it to that starrating… Was a good way for freeholders to have an independant way of keeping their properties up to scratch. Was always good saying we were officially accredited but on the other hand the motel up the road just say they are 3.5 self rated anyway and most guests don’t know the difference…
                                    Interesting — Also just paid for the renewal.. bugger.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.