• Creator

Topic

Angimon

Participant

I was just wondering if any motels have installed solar, and if so, how does it compare?

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

howie

Participant
        • Topics Started 3
        • Replies 71

I would be staying away from that , you can finance it and own it yourself for the same or cheaper than what they will lock you into , also with power usage for motels it is mainly late afternoon to morning with very little sun , so unless you can store the power you generate during the day , the figures just don’t add up. Cost efficient battery storage systems are about 12 months away which is the ideal setup for accommodation businesses. While we are waiting for the cost to come down on the batteries we will be putting in retrofit solar hot water to our existing storage system to heat during daylight hours for about $1,800.00 and making other energy saving things like putting timer switches on things not being used during the day, swapping to led lights , insulating hot water pipes etc. Don’t get sucked into the don`t pay up front system it may not bite you on the way in but watch out for your backside on the way out.

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
          • Topics Started 22
          • Replies 232

SURPRISE SURPRISE I received the email from the Solar power people this morning, so I thought I would share it with you, for some light reading (pardon the pun!!)

So the basic breakdown of the SPPA (Solar Power Purchase Agreement) is that we will come out and install a solar system at no cost to you, from there we will charge you at a FIXED rate per Kilowatt Hour for the power used and produced from the solar system (at a lower rate than you are currently paying).
            The rate is FIXED for the term of the agreement, allowing you to take control and lock in your power price and budget for your power usage a lot more accurately year to year, as you don’t have to worry about price rises.
            At the end of the agreement, the ownership of the system is transferred over to you.
            Any power exported for FIT (Feed in Tariff) stays with you, so it will be credited to you by your electricity retailer at the current FIT rate.
            We maintain and monitor the system for the period of the agreement, so if there are any faults we will have a technician fix them as quickly as possible.
            We will also provide you with a buyout figure regularly if you at some point wish to exit the agreement and just purchase the system.
            Effectively all of this allows for you to FIX and BUDGET for your power costs in the future whilst getting cheaper power and your own solar system, for NO UPFRONT INVESTENT OR RISK ON YOUR BEHALF.

To determine whether this will benefit you suitably we will need to see a recent power bill, so that we can analyse it and see what your daily usage is, what system you will require and what your current electricity rate is so that we can estimate savings and system size.
            Please be sure to include ALL PAGES of the electricity bill, as usage charges and amounts are usually on the second or third page.
            You can either email your bill to us by scanning it and just replying to this message, or you can fax it to us on the free fax number below.

cheers Busybees

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
            • Topics Started 22
            • Replies 232

I had a company ring me today and tell me that “the government has now given the go ahead to install solar FREE to all businesses” i told her that we were only the lease holders and she would need to get permission from the landlord. she then prattled on about the cost of our bill and blah blah blah blah. I asked her to send me an email with all the information, sure she said whats your email address, I gave it to her. Funny that was 3.5 hrs ago and I vhave yet to receive that email!!!

howie

Participant
              • Topics Started 3
              • Replies 71

Quite simply solar without storge at an economical rate is not worth it yet. For those looking to save a few dollars , you can buy retrofit solar for water heaters that cost between $1700.00 to $2200.00 , they fit most existing water storage heaters and will keep them hot all day . Simple enough to install.
                a couple of the retrofit systems can be found here
                commodoreaustralia.com.au runonsun.com.au we are about to install one atleast to keep our hotwater ring hot during the day,we already turn our other heatpumps off from 9 to 10am till about 3 or 4pm and have noticed no great loss off heat in these units , which don`t take long to heat up once turned back on.

imageBallina Colonial Motel

Participant
                • Topics Started 10
                • Replies 87

Beware, the salesmen are out in force (I’ve had two in the last two weeks!), trying to con me into this one.

Firstly they are saying that the Government have given us a $20k tax reduction. No, the Government gave you the opportunity to defer $20k of your tax on profits to a later year. That is if you have $20k in your pocket to spend! Oh, don’t they realise we don’t make profits to pay tax on in the first place!!

Then they start to talk about the storage battery options, with a 2/3 year payback. That technology, as far as I can gather is in its infancy and it will be 5-10 years before the costs come down and make it affordable. I read one article that a single house would cost $20k; so how much for a motel using 100Kwh per day?

I rest my case!

In America the energy suppliers are the front runners on this, so how long before our electricity supplies cotton on that they need to be in it to win it?

Angimon

Participant
                  • Topics Started 14
                  • Replies 80

Thanks Mr Petersen
                    I had come up with the same cons as you (time of consumption and no storage ability) so had left it for now. I know it will value-add but until the cons are addressed it didn’t seem a feasible option for us.
                    Still wondering though if anyone has installed.
                    PS I’m not in Ballina

Mr PetersenMr Petersen

Blocked
                    • Topics Started 4
                    • Replies 61

Solar will add value to your property if there is a saving in power costs as it will affect your profit.
                      We have done the research on the Solar and although it is favourable, we will need to outlay around $30k on this leasehold. As we do not intend to stay long enough to reap the benefit we have decided not to use it.
                      In every other respect, solar is a worthwhile investment, but until the suppliers offer a storage option (batteries), I won’t do it. Most of the power is consumed after dark and there is little benefit. We would of course, run the HWS during the day but AC units will run all night and solar won’t assist that.

That is why no accommodation house in Ballina has gone solar! Probably because most are leaseholds and the operators won’t spend the money. And on the other hand, there are some very low rent accommodation providers in Ballina. I have seen the TripAdvisor reviews !!

imageBallina Colonial Motel

Participant
                      • Topics Started 10
                      • Replies 87

Wow, this is great topic to discuss!

So why has not one single accommodation house in Ballina not gone solar?

Given the extensive roof coverage and astronomic electricity costs why has nobody gone solar?

Firstly we have to look at what state you live in an what are the subsidies? In NSW for businesses = zero.

Then you have to look at leasehold v freehold and the longevity of your tenure? Average 5/6 years.

Then you have to look at the pay back time? = 7/8 years. maybe much more given no subsidy.

Then you have to look to see if this will add value to your property? = zero, as the value is determined by profit not gold taps.

That is why no accommodation house in Ballina has gone solar!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.