Motel Mingle Forums Motel Managers Relief Manager's Liability Insurance

• Creator

Topic

flashlight

Participant

Having just started a new business in the Relief Management field I have been trying to negotiate/obtain liability insurance but the request seems to mystify most Insurance brokers as they have never been asked or they consider the Accommodation business to be too much of a risk!

I’ve tried asking other relief managers but the one’s I;ve asked appear not to have independant liability insurance, which is, I believe, a real worry. As most relief managers are contractors operating under their own ABN they should be insured as they could have a liability over and above the Motel owners liability (eg, the liability for food poisoning from a breakfast cooked by the relief manager could result in a claim directly against the relief manager).

Does anyone out there know where I can obtain Liabilty Insurance for relief management at a reasonable price?
      Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

PaulPaul

Participant
        • Topics Started 25
        • Replies 80

That’s interesting Flashlight. We advertise our services as relief managers and work on a contractual basis with an ABN so this is definitely something to be aware of.

flashlight

Participant
          • Topics Started 1
          • Replies 15

Thanks for your reply Paul. Your comments may be correct if you are effectively employed but unfortunately they are not correct if you are a Contract Relief Manager operating your own business (and ABN) and providing relief management for multiple motels (that is, if you are a genuine contractor).

If you are deemed to be a genuine contractor, as I would be, as I advertise my business and am happy to work for any motel who requires my services (provided they fit my criteria) then you may not be covered by the Motel’s Insurance. Only some Insurers include contractors and sub contracters, but not the majority.

Here’s the danger – If you ask the Motel Business owner if you are included under their policy many would assume yes without even looking or knowing or enquiring. You may think your covered, but you may not be! Then someone get’s food poisoning from a breakfast you cooked, and a liability claim not covered by the owners Insurance could be the result.

PaulPaul

Participant
            • Topics Started 25
            • Replies 80

The PL (Public Liability) would rest with the lease owner or the landlord not the relief manager in my opinion as we are ’employed’ by them (work more than 80% for one person and you are considered to be employed by them regardless of what they might say)…

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
              • Topics Started 10
              • Replies 84

I use a broker Arthur J. Gallagher 03 9412 1214

Angimon

Participant
                • Topics Started 14
                • Replies 80

You could try Lighthouse insurance brokers in Qld – they deal in insurance tailored towards accom businesses so may be able to help.

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.