Motel Mingle Forums General Chit Chat Pre-auths on guest credit cards

• Creator

Topic

bradmartin

Participant

Would be interested to know if at your hotel / motel you do pre authorisations on guest credit cards on arrival and if so how much do you pre-auth.

We usually only pre-auth for $1 to check the credit card is valid. But we have just implemented mini bar and have increased this to $50.

Property manager
      Quest apartments

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
        • Topics Started 22
        • Replies 232

We have a guest registration form that has place for THEM to write their card details, and then they sign it. Most ask why when i have already paid, and i say its our security, as we dont take a bond. We explain to them that “we can charge the card if you smoke, cook or damage the room, as you have written your number on there and you have signed it giving us permission to do so”. Once they have left we shred the form. Some dont like it and wont fill it in but mostly they do. A motel in Sydney, actually photocopied their notice and I show it to those customers that say, they have never heard of it before, and have never had to pay a bond or give pre autho.
          Realistcally, its like locks on doors…it only keeps the honest crook honest!!!
          Our system also highlights if a card is dodgy, but we always take the first night’s tariff to secure the booking (and the balance is payable on arrival)so that way we know when they book whether their card is ok.

StephanieStephanie

Participant
          • Topics Started 6
          • Replies 43

But how do you know that it is a credit card? Some customers tell lies šŸ™‚

Stephanie@ Redcliffe Motor Inn

CVM

Participant
              • Topics Started 13
              • Replies 32

Stephanie, are you using any reservation system? We are using a system which allows you to key in the credit card details. If it is a wrong number, somehow it knows and lets you know by highlighting it in red.

Angimon

Participant
                  • Topics Started 14
                  • Replies 80

Our system also lets you know if it’s a wrong number, but doesn’t discern between a visa credit or visa debit. Do any rez systems do this? I’ve gone to charge a no show fee only to find out there were insufficient funds as it must have been a debit card. I’m very persistent though, and eventually got my money.

StephanieStephanie

Participant
                      • Topics Started 6
                      • Replies 43

Same. The system recognises genuine card numbers but does not distinguish between debit and credit cards.

robguy27

Participant
                  • Topics Started 2
                  • Replies 34

We don’t do pre auths – we do require a valid credit card (not a debit card) when booking & on arrival which we take a photo copy of, which we can use if their are any incidentials – eg mini bar or damage – we find this works well

StephanieStephanie

Participant
                    • Topics Started 6
                    • Replies 43

Ahhhh. So this is how we check out whether or not we have a genuine credit card? We are learner hoteliers and have had a few sales lost because of dodgy credit card information. Our latest was with a booking through Booking.com who suggested we ring the guest and ask them to pay the no show fee. I still haven’t stopped laughing at that suggestion. We also ask guests to pay on arrival and that seems to be acceptable in most cases – as you say – why not? Stephanie at the Gordon in Redcliffe

CVM

Participant
                      • Topics Started 13
                      • Replies 32

Does anyone else out there do pre-auths?

Let us know if you do and how much you actually pre-auth with the transaction.

CVM

Participant
                        • Topics Started 13
                        • Replies 32

We don’t do pre-auths at all. We actually ask guests to pay on arrival these days and have been doing this for a few years now. Most guests are fine by this however from time to time we do get a disgruntled guest. I explain to them that due to many guests leaving at all hours in the morning that it is much easier to have guests paying on arrival than having someone in reception waiting for guests to pay for their room before leaving.(When we buy petrol for the car, a loaf of bread from the supermarket we have to pay up front, so why shouldn’t motel guests do the same?)

We do have mini bars and operate on a trust system and ask guests to leave the money on the table before leaving or they may pay at reception. This has worked very well for us and rarely has it been abused.

BMM

Participant
                          • Topics Started 6
                          • Replies 46

As we are a budget motel and do not have Mini Bars etc, we do not pre auth cards, however I find that most hotels or apartment chains hold at least $100 on pre authorisation.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.