Motel Mingle Forums General Chit Chat Personal Hygiene

• Creator

Topic

Angimon

Participant

What do others do if a guest has bad personal hygiene? I had a guest stay last year who left a smell in the room so bad that I had to clean the carpets and soft furnishings twice and deodorise numerous times. I couldn’t rent the room that night the smell was so bad. He has just checked in again, and was wondering how others go about broaching the issue or charging guests for cleaning in this situation. The guest has an amputation and I think this is either the cause of the smell or contributes.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
        • Topics Started 22
        • Replies 232

Sometimes it is the best to approach the issue other than let it simmer. We had 2 employees that had a problem, one was unaware and did the best to fix it, the other I had told a couple of times but, this particular employee also had other diabilities.
          It IS hard when it is of such a particularly personal matter, but like you said, he was unaware…bit like going to a hospital, we all notice going in but after the first few hours you dont smell it anymore, imagine living with it…you’d be immuned!

StephanieStephanie

Participant
          • Topics Started 6
          • Replies 43

Pleased to hear it.

Stephanie@ Redcliffe Motor Inn

StephanieStephanie

Participant
            • Topics Started 6
            • Replies 43

We had this problem a few months ago but the young man was placed here by an agency while they were looking for permanent accommodation for him. We had to ask him to leave after a few days as the access to all our rooms is through an internal corridor and everyone who entered was affected. The agency was charged and they paid for the cleaning and the replacement of the mattress. Sorry that probably doesn’t help you unless he was through an agency, in which case they will understand if you just say no. The only thing I can think of is to try and start a conversation about the problem and see if he is aware and/or if he has a solution. Otherwise I can see him turning up again and again and the problem repeating itself forever. Good Luck. Stephanie

Stephanie@ Redcliffe Motor Inn

Angimon

Participant
                • Topics Started 14
                • Replies 80

Thanks Stephanie. I bit the bullet and had the conversation. He said he wasn’t aware of it, and that he will see his community nurse to try to address the issue. Also, knowing of the issue this morning meant we could attack it straight away… hopefully the room will come up smelling of roses!

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.