OTA'S

Motel Mingle Forums Scams OTA'S

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Busybees Busybees 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

MVM
    Participant

Make sure that if an OTA guest makes any changes to a booking that you always do it via the OTA.
    There are multiple scams going that can see the motel losing money. I’ve never been caught out but heard of people that have.
    An example of one, if the guest pays via the OTA, they show up late at night a few days before their booking and while still in the free cancellation period. They say that they made a mistake with the booking and meant for it to be today and not in the next few days, the motel just checks them in and have all intentions to call the ota the next morning to sort it out… Then the OTA guest leaves early in the morning and cancels their booking with the OTA and get their money back and motel can’t do anything about it.

• Author
    Replies

waynephilip
    Participant
    • Topics Started 4
    • Replies 17

Hi Busybees,
    We ‘had’ a cut off time on Booking.com, but somehow its been removed and i cant seem to find it on the site.
    check yours out to see if its still there..

MVM
      Participant
      • Topics Started 10
      • Replies 53

Its now your check in close time.
      In the extranet go to properties tab > Policies > Edit Check-in & Check-out Times

What ever you set to the check out time is the time it stops selling on booking.com

Busybees
        Busybees
        Participant
        • Topics Started 21
        • Replies 228

Hi MVM,
        yep ours had disappeared, so when I rang booking.no to find out what was going onthire reply was, “after 2 years you will need to renew your request” I replied that I shouldnt have to renew my reuest I should only have to cancel it should I no longer require it. no thats not how it works!!

as per usual booking.no has control over your business!!! 🙁

Cassius
    Participant
    • Topics Started 2
    • Replies 25

We did this but more difficult to do for Expedia the only other site we used.
    Flight Centre caused so many problems that we took them off.

Busybees
    Busybees
    Participant
    • Topics Started 21
    • Replies 228

This is why we use a channel manager who collect the payment If the booking has changed they will notify us.
    Like MVM says, make sure the changes go through the OTA. ring the OTA while the guest is there, cover your own butt! We need to authorise the refund, and if we don’t receive a modification email…no refund.

Cassius
    Participant
    • Topics Started 2
    • Replies 25

Tough on them if you are full, We also put all vacant rooms as out of order at about 7.00pm to prevent the OTA’s taking them because invariably the arrivals will be late. But make available to walkins and telephone bookings if required. But all details Credit card, mobile etc taken.

You can then refuse them if they do not cancel their booking with the OTA, in front of you. Most of them make the bookings using their phones. If they walk away you know they are a scammer and then try to blacklist them on the OTA’s – difficult but it can be done.
    Then accept them once they present their CC or pay by cash.

Busybees
      Busybees
      Participant
      • Topics Started 21
      • Replies 228

Hi Cassius, did you know that you can put a cut off time on the booking.no extranet, this saves you manually doing this every night? We do this to stop to save us the grief!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.