Motel Mingle Forums Reservation Methods & Systems Online Booking Sites

• Creator

Topic

newlooker

Participant

We are currently looking at a couple of motels to purchase and neither uses any online booking sites or ‘book now’ buttons on their websites. I am interested to hear opinions on how much affect signing up to the major ones would likely have on turnover. I have read figures between 10% and 40%. Thanks.

Viewing 16 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
        • Topics Started 22
        • Replies 232

Welcome Newlooker to the motel business and to Motel Mingle. We hope you will not only find interesting tips and articles, but that you will also contribute to the forums.(make sure you tick the box..notify me of follow-up replies via email so you can stay up to date)

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
          • Topics Started 38
          • Replies 64

Thats what Motel Mingle is all about Newlooker. helping each other out, sharing experiences and knowledge. Congrats on your contract, hope it all goes well for you.

Maybe you can share your experiences while still fresh in other topics about searching for a motel, contracts, finance or anything that might give others insight.

Finding answers.        Sharing ideas.        Solving problems.

newlooker

Participant
            • Topics Started 1
            • Replies 1

Thanks for all of the info, really helpful. We have just put a contract down so no doubt I will be picking your brains more in the future 🙂

Mountain Man

Participant
              • Topics Started 2
              • Replies 26

Consider your market too. We are in a one motel town so people are not comparing us directly with other motels. We had a selection of 3rd party booking sites (which are a pain to set up and often a pain to administer) but found that it was just not worth the hassle and often communication surrounding cancellations left a lot to be desired.
                We have a strong website that guests can book live on plus a facebook presence, and our motel name is the same as the town……we come up first on google.
                I also think that, because it is necessary to increase rates on 3rd party sites to cover commission, this can make your tariff look uncompetitive. In our case, we are a 3 star motel and basic queen rate is $96. Add 12% on to that and it makes the price look excessive.
                It is the way of the modern world but personally I hate these ‘parasite’ businesses. Having said that, if we were directly competing I don’t think we would be able to do without them.

StephanieStephanie

Participant
                • Topics Started 6
                • Replies 43

In Reply to Busy Bee – off topic – don’t tell the keymaster – Price per click for Google Ads – You select how much you want to spend on a monthly basis.

Stephanie@ Redcliffe Motor Inn

imageBallina Colonial Motel

Participant
                  • Topics Started 10
                  • Replies 87

Hi Newlooker

It is now the way of the world for the accommodation industry to use ‘online booking’ either through a third party and/or directly from your own website. We have to accept the ‘commission’ charges as just another form of advertising cost. You are certainly being disadvantaged by not having this. Unless you are the only motel in town!

It is very difficult to come up with any statistics as circumstances are always changing, but I can assure you that at peak holiday periods you will be full booked well in advance with 90% of your business coming from online bookings. You have to have a ‘presence’ in the market place to battle the competition, or you are dead in the water.

Many years ago I dropped AAAT’s advertising and for less than half the price set up with Siteminder, who are the biggest operator in this market. For $80/month you can set up about 10 third party sites (more than enough) and for another $40/month you can have your own booking button and phone app. You are in total control of your rates and availability through just one single console. It is money well spent.

Brumby

Participant
                    • Topics Started 3
                    • Replies 30

I look at what revenue I need to get my ROI. Based on certain Formalae I work out my room rate. That is what I need from each room. Then add the cost of marketing (commission) for each OTA whilst my Website rate is the BAR. Most customers search and find the cheapest rate. Lazy ones pay more.

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
                      • Topics Started 38
                      • Replies 64

We are running off topic here guys. As the forum is growing now, we need to ensure that we stay on topic otherwise the forum will become a big mess. If you wish to chat about other topics please start a new one or send me an email and I will do it for you. I just started a new topic for Adwords at the following http://motelmingle.com.au/forums/topic/google-adwords/

Back on topic now “ONLINE BOOKING SITES”

Finding answers.        Sharing ideas.        Solving problems.

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                        • Topics Started 22
                        • Replies 232

So adwords…. is there a standard price or does it go on number of rooms or how do they charge?

StephanieStephanie

Participant
                          • Topics Started 6
                          • Replies 43

Sorry, can’t compare with and without as we have always had them. I guess if you are coming up on the first page of a (eg) Google search you might not bother, but we do get a lot of bookings through these sites. FYI – We did cancel our Google Adwords earlier this year for a month and had a really slow month. Was the result related to the action? Don’t know for sure, but we have resumed Google Ads and the pace has picked up so we are not going to risk it again.

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                            • Topics Started 22
                            • Replies 232

Just wondering if anyone has joined “iselectrooms”.
                              I have received quite a few emails requesting I join them.

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                              • Topics Started 22
                              • Replies 232

Hi Brumby,
                                I really should proof read my comments before I submit them!! I am really interested in your stats on this, because I stated I hd thought about doing this but wondered how it would affect my bookings, especailly times being as tough as they have been!

Have you noticed a difference on how much your bookings are truly affected by increasing you tariff? Can you compare the same time frame from previous years to try to get an accurate figure?
                                Have you always done this? or have you only done this last few years?
                                I’d love to read you reply

StephanieStephanie

Participant
                                • Topics Started 6
                                • Replies 43

With Booking.com the commission is 12%. The guest pays us for the room when they check in (eg $140). Booking.com takes the commission of $16.80 from our account each month on or about the 16th of the month.
                                  Wotif’s commission is also 12%. Wotif customers pay $140 to Wotif. Wotif supplies us with a Virtual Credit Card for payment in the amount of $123.20, which we put through when the guest checks in.
                                  Our channel manager (Hirum) has a selection of OTA’s attached and the commissions range from 10% (AOT, Expedia, Quickbeds) to 15% (Agoda, Check-in.com, Jetstar, Needitnow)

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                                  • Topics Started 22
                                  • Replies 232

Hi Brumby i had thought about doing this but wondered how it would affect my bookings!! Have you noticed a difference on have you always done this?

Brumby

Participant
                                    • Topics Started 3
                                    • Replies 30

I use a channel manager to get on every OTA but their rate is is increased by the commission charge. I.E if Wotif Commission is 12% than the tariff on Wotif is 12% higher. Guess what? People still book through Wotif when they could book cheaper on my website. Their choice.

StephanieStephanie

Participant
                                      • Topics Started 6
                                      • Replies 43

We get the bulk of our bookings through Booking.com and Wotif. I agree with Busybees – crazy if you don’t. Our guests often think they are booking on our site after a google search but do it through Booking.com or Wotif because they do a heap of advertising and always come to the top. And yes to a booking button. Why always pay someone else commission because people like to book on-line?

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                                        • Topics Started 22
                                        • Replies 232

Hi there,
                                          I truly believe you are crazy if you don’t have at the least a book now button on your own webiste. It is a very minimal cost and definitely worth it. As for the other sites, yes you do pay on average 12% commission, but again, you really would be silly if you weren’t at least on booking.com or wotif. With the amount of advertising they are doing now, you will miss out. We are planning on joing a few more sites in the next few days.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.