• Creator

Topic

PaulPaul

Participant

Tell me, my learned friends, what would be the expected average occupancy for a motel today in Australia? I understand there are a number of factors; demographics, location, number of rooms etc but what would be considered an ‘average’? What would be a ‘good’ occupancy? What would be considered a ‘bad’ occupancy? (We manage a 25 room motel near a major city)
      Your feedback would be appreciated..

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
        • Topics Started 12
        • Replies 90

Same story here in the Malley region. I feel like the captain of the Marie Celeste just drifting along. Went 12 days without a guest then 1 guest for 1 night then 3 days without another. cash flow is almost none existent. Average last month was 1.1 rooms per night. All guests were trades persons & Telstra persons, gotta get better soon……

howie

Participant
          • Topics Started 3
          • Replies 74

Thanks for responding , just thought i would throw things out there , didn`t think anyone was using this anymore. I have joined the F B page so hope chat on there , whats your name on there if thats ok ?
            cheers Howie

MVM

Participant
            • Topics Started 10
            • Replies 64

recent bushfires saved us. Lots of workers. No tourists. Empty weekends.
              Prior to Covid we have been empty once in 5yrs. This easter empty 4 days straight. Search motel hotel owners of australia on FB. Some discussion going on about the affects.

howie

Participant
              • Topics Started 3
              • Replies 74

Just wondering how everyone is going with the virus , we had occupancy of 73% upto 25 march, since then it has gone down to 25% , we do have a light at the end of the tunnell we hope, maybe some work starting with the rail line soon which should boost things a bit . Anyway let us know how things are going , or even just for a rant or to get things off your chest
                cheers for now

Ash

Participant
                • Topics Started 1
                • Replies 14

Howie, it depends heavily on your area. We too have run motels in a country town not far from you and achieved a 80% Occ with high rates. I am currently relieving at a motel in the Coffs Coast region and it is dead here. There are some very low rate regulars and an Occ of 50%. I would consider dropping the rates to increase the Occ. However, 50% is good for where you are.

howie

Participant
                    • Topics Started 3
                    • Replies 74

So we have increased our occupancy slightly to about 65% but we have raised prices by 20% so all in all 18 months down the track since our last post on this topic we are pretty happy with how its going , better occupancy with higher rates.
                      Since then we have installed a self checkin machine and that is getting us on average 8 after hours walkups each week that we wouldnt get and dont have to doo anything to attract , they justturn up in the middle of the night and choose a room , pay for it and receive the keys. But it allows us to shut a lot earlier and have much more flexible office hours

howie

Participant
                      • Topics Started 3
                      • Replies 74

So we have increased our occupancy slightly to about 65% but we have raised prices by 20% so all in all 18 months down the track since our last post on this topic we are pretty happy with how its going , better occupancy with higher rates.
                        Since then we have installed a self checkin machine and that is getting us on average 4 after hours walkups that we wouldn`t get. But it allows us to shut a lot earlier and have much more flexible office hours

PaulPaul

Participant
                      • Topics Started 26
                      • Replies 80

We are now running at 85% occupancy average (25 rooms within spitting distance of Brisbane). When we took over it was running around 70% but we’ve ‘tweaked’ a few things and people can’t seem to get enough of us now! Perhaps it’s time we put the prices up?

howie

Participant
                          • Topics Started 3
                          • Replies 74

I would be looking at putting up your prices especially if you aren`t getting negative reviews. At that occupancy even if you put them up $2 a night it works out round 14,000.00/year ( have a nice holiday and pay for relif managers in one).

howie

Participant
                          • Topics Started 3
                          • Replies 74

Hi Paul , we have a motel in Euroa(castle creek motor inn) , 1.5 hrs north melbourne on the hume hwy , ours runs at about 50% to 55%, its an older style motel that we have refurbished completely. We have a lot of stopovers from sydney , canberra, wagga etc.
                            We also get the work crews for the roads/ railway line and plenty of tradies etc.
                            But we also have alot of weddings during the warmer months. There are 3 motels in town of 2200 population and i think all 3 motels run about the same occupancy .
                            Of course it depends where you are but if you work round those figures i think it would be around the mark.
                            If you get up around the 60 to 70% mark with no bad reviews they say you should put your prices up.
                            Last year we had 70% but that was because of a large project happening in the area, so we just treated that as a bonus and gave ourselves a bonus holiday.
                            Just my thoughts on the subject , others may have a better idea

Viewing 6 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.