Motel Mingle Forums Guests Behaving Badly not sure what to do

• Creator

Topic

toptownmotel

Participant

last night we had a guest from north Queensland who came and booked in for 2 adults and 2 children. When leaving this morning, it turned out there were 2 adults and 4 children. They also broke one of the beds, 3 glasses (which they didn’t clean up) , coloured their hair and used the motel towels, de-liced ( we gather everyone in the room), left cooked chicken on the floor and left the rest of the room is in “hell of a mess”. They are in a 4 wheel drive with a camper van heading south. I’m not sure if we can send them a bill for the damages or not. Advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

Mr PetersenMr Petersen

Blocked
        • Topics Started 4
        • Replies 61

Don’t expect bad guests to be remorseful. You are wasting time asking them for compensation for their natural poor behaviour.

We had a recent family of ferals. Usual grime pressed into carpet and spilt drinks and chips.

I just slugged their card 60 bux for extra cleaning. No warnings, no phone calls, no argument.

We will charge whatever feels right for ferals and assholes. It’s the least we can do!

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
          • Topics Started 22
          • Replies 232

* sorry that should *printed * smoking
            I type to fast for myself!! lol

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
            • Topics Started 22
            • Replies 232

Hi Tiddywazza,
              I made up my own guest registration form, with the info I require, which may differ from yours.
              I have a little prined section that says something along the lines of “I the undersigned accept responsibility for damaage etc. no smoing no cooking no pets……and there will be a fee of $xxx for cleaning…”
              but this you fill in with what YOU want.
              I suggest IF and when ever you are lucky enough to stay in a motel, that you read their form and adapt it to your liking/needs.
              We have (and are still) learning the hard way by trial, error and adjustment!

PS I had answered this 2 days ago but forgot to hit submit!! silly me

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
              • Topics Started 10
              • Replies 84

I would like to see your registration rules. Can we get them posted here ?

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                • Topics Started 22
                • Replies 232

Hi Toptown motel, I relasie this forum was started ages ago, but its first time I’ve been on this particular one.
                  We were “burnt” early in our lease, so we now have a guest registraion form that I made up, ask me and I will send you a copy. The only people that kick up a stink are those that are dodgy, ( and you dont need them) so then you have the right to say, nick off!! Well tell them , it is a condition of your motel to fill out the form if you dont want to then I am sorry maybe you should find somewhere else. EVERYONE that comes into our motel signs one or they dont stay.

I also have in our compendium, a list of rules and policies which state, if we find you have more guests than the room sleeps or that you have paid for you will be asked to leave regardelss of the time of day or night and you will not get a refund.
                  I also send out a confirmation and information email to EVERY guest regardless of where they book, where we receive an email. It also states our rules regarding cooking, pets, smoking, and guest numbers, and i mark read receipt and keep that until after they have left.
                  It is terrible that we have to go to the lengths to carry on our business, and like life there is always one bad apple that spoils it for the wholel bunch.

robguy27, We had a fmaily stay with us (booked online for 2a & 2c) and four times she rang me whilst travelling telling me they were going to be prgressivley later, 4 times I questioned on how many people and 4 times she told 2a and 2c, of course there were 3 children when they got it and she argued with me and was quite nasty. It was 11pm and the kids were young. Made me out to be the bad person… I wanted to make them leave but what do you do when the kids are so young, I walked away and let my husband deal with it. I rang the OTA the next morning and they told me i should’ve kicked them out!!

I am so over dishonest, lying, filthy grubs, thank goodness the good ones outweigh the bad ones!!!

bellavilla166

Participant
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Replies 16

We had an incident that a guest was selling drugs from her room and kept a dog ( we have a no pet policy).
                    My wife saw cars driving by…stopping and going to the room and then leaving.

I went to the room and heard a dog so I evicted her for keeping a dog, as I had no evidence of her selling drugs, even though there were small plastic bags and white powder found in the room after she left.
                    She also took the sheet and put all her “stuff” in the sheet

I reported the matter to the Police (even had reg numbers of the cars) but they told me it was all allegations with no proof.

So I put it down to experience and the fun of running a Motel

toptownmotel

Participant
                    • Topics Started 1
                    • Replies 7

It’s been over 3 months now and no reply from the people. I didn’t really expect there to be but was hopeful that they had some kind of “remorse”. Since this happened, we are more vigilant especially if there are children. Thank you everyone for your help, greatly appreciated.

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                      • Topics Started 10
                      • Replies 84

I would ‘phone and inform them of your disgust and advise there WIL be a charge to their room for damage and extra cleaning. Be prepared for verbal abuse or complete amazement from the guest as to why you are upset. This is your property and deserves respect. Work up the cost to you and make the charge manually to their credit/debit card. Please advise what happens. I say go do it now !

toptownmotel

Participant
                        • Topics Started 1
                        • Replies 7

Thank you all for your advice. I like the idea CVM of the conditions of stay. I am going to write this up on the weekend and make sure everyone registering signs it. I also like the idea robguy27 of checking the room before the person leaves. I do intend to send a bill but don’t expect a reply but at least they will know that it was unacceptable behaviour. Is it appropriate to take a copy of their license if they don’t have a credit card? Thank you all once again.

robguy27

Participant
                          • Topics Started 2
                          • Replies 34

Sorry to hear that happened to you TopTown. Years ago we used to have this happen in our 2 bedroom apartments but not any more.
                            What we do is –
                            1 – double check with the guest checking in the no. of guests & repeat it to them so that they know you know how many people are registered & should be in the room
                            2 – count the heads when they get out of the car – if it differs go straight down there & sort it out before they move in
                            3 – definitely get a photo copy of their credit card for any extra guests or damages
                            4 – don’t be afraid to charge them for extra guests or damage – we do it

We are very vigilant particularly with our apartments as people think they can invite anyone in that they please – sorry not the case – we explain that the only guests allowed in the apartment are registered paying guests only. Over the years we have had many arguments about this matter with guests.
                            If any of our guests look a bit shady, as my husband is checking them out I go & do a quick check on their room to see there is no damage.
                            It is your motel & you work hard so don’t let anyone rip you off – it’s actually stealing from you

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                            • Topics Started 10
                            • Replies 84

Now and then you see a guests car leave and count more heads on board than they paid for. We charge by the heads on beds and also feel cheated out of our income. It is not always possible to obtain a valid credit card swipe to pass on the charges as some people either lie or are genuine in their proclamation that they do not have a credit or debit card. We tried for some months with signage saying no credit card no room and did loose some guests to our competitors. But have had to soften this ruling. Even years of on the spot people evaluation does not always pay off.When ever I let my guard down or become compassionate I get done over. Not often but one does feel let down by the offending guests.

CVM

Participant
                              • Topics Started 13
                              • Replies 32

As a motel owner, it really pisses me off when you hear about this sought of behavior.

Do you require guests to sign a guest registration with conditions of stay?

Do you take guests credit card details? If so, i will be inclined to contact them and tell them that they are going to be charged for the damage. Regardless, i will be sending them a bill for the damage and hope that they pay for it, but don’t hold your breathe.

Really sorry to hear that this has happened to you.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.