Motel Mingle Forums General Chit Chat No shows private booking

• Creator

Topic

PaulPaul

Participant

We’re all aware of no-shows through booking channels but what about a private booking? We had a lady ring yesterday evening needing a room and we were very full! We did however find her a room and as her arrival time was at midnight, we took the payment and advised her of the night safe procedures.
      This morning we looked in the night safe and saw that the envelope was still in there and obviously the guest hadn’t turned up. At 1pm, that day the guest rang us demanding that we give her a refund as her flight was delayed and she only got in at 5am and decided not to stay with us. We explained we couldn’t do that as there was a 24 hour policy in place anyway and we could have sold that room as we were full. She told my wife that she was a liar and she “found it hard to believe we were full” and she was going to write a bad review about us based on that. How awful is that? We remained calm and polite with her and apologised for not being able to refund the money and then she hung up on us!

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

Brumby

Participant
        • Topics Started 3
        • Replies 30

I have a 48 cancellation policy and a late arrival fee of $50. Don’t like go somewhere else.

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
          • Topics Started 22
          • Replies 232

We send everyone an information email when they book which clearly explains in bold lettering our cancellation/alteration policy. We also tell them on the phone they have until 2pm the day before arrival to cancel otherwise they will forfeit their deposit.
            Why should we refund when its not our fault that you missed the plane? and as the large motel stated, the airline is not going to give you a refund so why should we??
            We have have had a few people ringing saying they have broken down and will not be able to make it, again, I am sorry but too bad (not in those exact words!!). We were threatened with a bad review, “that’s your choice, but you still wont get a refund!!”
            We really are the only industry where the guest gets to tell us how to run our business. Its time we ALL took a stand, and stick to OUR rules not the “you are the only motel that does this” crap!!
            We need standard rules across every motel.
            *No kids sharing the adults bed, one body per sleeping position ONLY.
            *perhaps EVERY motel take the first night’s tariff to secure booking
            *and EVERY motel have a 24hour cancellation policy, that way the guest knows every time they book exactly what the rules are!!
            OK I’m off my soap box now!!

Angimon

Participant
            • Topics Started 14
            • Replies 80

Hi Paul

We’ve probably all been in your situation at some stage!

We now advise ALL guests that book on the day “we have a no cancellation policy when booking on the day and your credit card will be charged regardless of whether you show up”. We generally then run the credit card with them on the phone so as to avoid holding a room for a card that doesn’t work. With guests that do ring and challenge the charge, we advise them to check their travel insurance as they may be able to claim the cost that way. Then it becomes their issue, not yours! 😉

pnm

Participant
              • Topics Started 4
              • Replies 17

Firstly, even with a few hours notice I will advise the guest that if we can sell the room, they will get a refund LESS admin fees. If of course the room doesn’t sell, too bad for them, great for us 🙂 We have had a few put bad reviews on, the usual site of course – Trip Advisor. Firstly I report the review to Trip Advisor as not meeting their posting guidelines, you generally get a generated response along the lines of “..the review meets our guidelines”. I then post my management response starting with “This review has been reported to be removed by Trip Advisor” then give the reviewer both barrels making them look like the fool they are. We pay for the business listing in Trip Advisor as well, so I then post an announcement “Trip Advisor allow people who haven’t even stayed to review!” We then promptly receive a notice that the review has been removed and can we please change our special announcement. Seriously, 90% of people understand that when they make an error, they wear the cost. I would never bend the rules over a threat

PaulPaul

Participant
                • Topics Started 25
                • Replies 80

If the guest had given us a few hours notice, then I would have considered refunding her but as she never turned up at all!…….

flashlight

Participant
                  • Topics Started 1
                  • Replies 15

Oops, I meant to say that the large hotel would not refund my room cost.

flashlight

Participant
                    • Topics Started 1
                    • Replies 15

I was once in a similar position to your guest except that I was able to give the large hotel where we were booked several hours notice that we wouldn’t make it as our flight was cancelled. Despite this the large Hotel didn’t hesitate to advise that our airfare would not be refunded (and I don’t think their occupancy was a consideration). Unlike your guest, I never threatened a bad review!
                      Personally, I don’t think the industry can afford to succumb to such threats.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.