• Creator

Topic

Angimon

Participant

Our night bell has recently given up on us. We are unable to purchase the same model, so were wondering if anyone has a particular brand/model that they think is worth recommending. We would like one with audio and visual with a range of at least 30-50 metres through one external and a couple of internal walls. The monitor must be portable. Thanks

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
        • Topics Started 12
        • Replies 94

Our night bell rings to a cordless phone always by my side. We do get quite a few late travelers looking for a bed. And yes I get often the remark, can you do better on the price, answer No. But if the guest is argumentative I tell them the motel down the highway discounts like crazy, go see him ! ( I understand he is always cranky) Heh, Heh, heh cruel but comforting to me. Over 10 years the night bell has been quite rewarding, financially.

Mountain Man

Participant
          • Topics Started 2
          • Replies 26

We are in a small town and not on a major highway. We have a night phone which allows you to vet the visitors before getting out of bed. We will not entertain discounts after hours and in fact we have considered a ‘getting out of bed’ surcharge. All an annoyance, but happens so rarely that it is not much of a problem.

Angimon

Participant
            • Topics Started 14
            • Replies 80

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess it’s a matter of different strokes for different folks. We are in a main road position and get a lot of rooms from our night bell (although I don’t currently keep figures on it, I’m going to start now to know exactly how many). In over two years I have only once had someone that was told a price try to negotiate it after I’d let them in to check them in. They paid the price and stayed. We find night bells generally some of the easiest guests (and money) as they get in the room, sleep and go – no breakfasts or visits back and forth to reception!

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
              • Topics Started 22
              • Replies 232

Hi Stephanie,
                As I said above we lock up and go home,no night bell, no answering machine and definitely no mobile given. The sign on the door says. office now closed and doesn’t open again until 8am. This is not a night bell and only goes to an answering machine.
                We do tell our guests to “make sure they take their key with them if they go outside as the doors are self locking and we lock and go home. We watch you on the cameras and laugh saying oh look room 7 has locked themselves out! And we don’t come back esp if I’m in my jimmy jams!” “There is a park bench at room 17 and there is one on the verandah, just in case you need somewhere to sleep” One guest said, well I might have to kick the door in, and I said that’s OK that will be $1000, cos that what the last guy paid!
                We have only had 1 lock out in the past 2 years!

StephanieStephanie

Participant
                • Topics Started 6
                • Replies 43

We have a night bell also which is switched off when we go to bed. The phone goes to answer machine telling caller of our office hours. We use to leave the phone on all night but also got sick of negotiating prices at 2am and we live on site so didn’t have to get out of bed. The only issue we have is, because there is only one entrance into the motel, and we lock the front door at 8pm, it is possible that a guest might lock themselves if they forget to take their key. It did happen once about 18 months ago and since then we have a note on the door saying “No Vacancies – if you have forgotten your room key and locked yourself out of the motel please ring Mobile ….” If they don’t have their phone… so sad. So far the only calls we have had have been from those leaving early in the morning who suddenly realise, after the door shuts behind them with the key in the key drop box, that they have left something important behind.

Stephanie@ Redcliffe Motor Inn

imageBallina Colonial Motel

Participant
                  • Topics Started 10
                  • Replies 87

No night bell.

Phone on DND from 9pm till 8am

No late night ‘callers’

Sleep well at night!

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                    • Topics Started 22
                    • Replies 232

Hi Angimon,
                      We don not have a night bell. We put a sign over the exterior phone, saying that the office is closed and the will not open again until 8am. This is not a night bell and will only go to an answering machine.
                      We put the answering machine and the DND on, lock up and go home.(We live offsite)
                      We were told, by the previous owner, when we first took over, that you can stand an debate the price of a room at 2am in the cold and wet and then they don’t take it. So he said he didn’t bother anymore, so we never have.I didn’t like the idea of coming over here by myself at that hour of the morning, and couldn’t expect Peter too when he had to back here at 6am, so we didn’t and we don’t!
                      In case of an emergency, 99.9% of people have a mobile phone, so they can ring the essential services if they need!

123daily

Participant
                      • Topics Started 2
                      • Replies 14

Hi Angimon. We have a night bell which was already here when we first took over the operation and it is an annoying buzzer that frightens us every time it is pushed. We have a telephone at the front of the building with a sign saying “emergency only after hours” however it is used as an after hours night bell with people requesting a room for the night. This phone is diverted directly to a mobile phone so we know that someone has rang from the outside of the motel reception.

We rarely answer the office phone after hours and let the call go to the answering machine.

Angimon

Participant
                        • Topics Started 14
                        • Replies 80

Just letting everyone know I found exactly what I was looking for at a reasonable price. Due to the lack of response to my question, and posts on other forums regarding no late check-ins or night bells, I am just wondering:
                          do other motels have night bells at all?
                          do you answer your phones after office hours?
                          what is your procedure in case of an emergency on-site?
                          Any insight in to what other motels are doing and why would be appreciated.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.