• Creator

Topic

PaulPaul

Participant

GUys, how many times have guests driven off with the keys? What happens when you realise and ring the guests and they say they’ll get it back to you but never do? The guests paid with cash and so, apart from a phone number, there is not really a trace on these people. Have you had guests come back and sneakily use the room? Does this happen? Should we simply change the lock (it wouldn’t match the master key then of course!).
      Any thoughts, experiences you can share with us?

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
        • Topics Started 10
        • Replies 84

As others say your best protection is recording a valid credit/ debit card number and expiry date. When a guest offers to post the key back I swap the barrel and key between this and another room until I receive the key back. I do not have a master key but one key goes to the guest marked with room number,a second key marked with room number and spare stays in reception and a third key on housekeeping ring. In 11 plus years only 2 keys were never accounted for. Just a note, recently it took Aussie Post 9 days to get a key back to me it was posted in an overnight bag just 57 kms. away from here.

imageBallina Colonial Motel

Participant
          • Topics Started 10
          • Replies 87

I once read an article that said ‘the worst thing about motels was the size of the key fob’!

Once upon a time, ours were small tear drop fobs and we probably ‘lost’ about one a month.

Then we changed to a big chunky plastic fob that would hold our business card. And guess what? We very , very seldom loose a key!

howie

Participant
            • Topics Started 3
            • Replies 71

I know it can feel little awkward but the peace of mind is worth it , it tends to be a judgement call on the attitude and appearance of the guest but is worth the peace of mind. It comes back to making sure you are protecting your business, if you have a credit card number you can charge to is ok , but even with that a lot of guests are only transferring enough to cover the room charge so if you need to charge them for damage you still won`t get your money out of them.
              As you said you dont get many cash customers so you wouldn t lose out much if every now and then someone decides they don`t like it. With us if they storm out I just ring the other 2 motels and let them know. Which they do for us aswell.
              Nearly everyday we have someone come in and when asked for a credit card, tell me they never have to give it anywhere else, which is a load of crock.
              Just 2 weeks ago we had a guest burn the carpet with an iron, as soon as we saw it we charged the credit card
              $650.00 and then told them . Of course they tried to say they didnt do it. They tried to stop the payment through the bank but we took pictures , had them sign the damages form upon checkin that states any damages have to be paid for, and presented this to the bank, the bank was happy with that.
              In this day and age if a person doesnt have a credit card or visa, mastercard debit card there is generally a good reason for that and generally I don`t want to find out via any damages in my rooms.

PaulPaul

Participant
              • Topics Started 25
              • Replies 80

Interesting Howie…we don’t get many ‘cash’ customers and if we do, I don’t know how we’d go with asking them for an extra $100 deposit on top of their room charge but certainly worth thinking about..

howie

Participant
                • Topics Started 3
                • Replies 71

Hi Paul , we have had people take keys by mistake , if they don`t return them we charge them $20.00 for the replacement ( ours are just normal keys) In regards to cash paying customers , we make them pay a deposit of $100.00 on top of the room price as not only taking keys, but they can do damage or smoke etc and you wont get any compensation . If the guest wants to checkout before reception opens, well thats to bad ,they just have to wait.Since we started doing this we haven<code>t had any room damage or keys go missing because we inspect the room before they leave. I would rather not have the guest stay if they are not prepared to pay a deposit.
                  Lots of time i ask them if they have a credit card and they say no , but i can see a visa etc in there wallet. It is amazing how quickly they tend to find a credit card if it`s late and not much choice. Yes sometimes a customer will decide to not stay , but I would rather sleep at night than be worried about them doing damage etc. then doing a runner.

howie

Participant
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Replies 71

Hi Paul , we have had people take keys by mistake , if they dont return them we charge them $20.00 for the replacement ( ours are just normal keys) In regards to cash paying customers , we make them pay a deposit of $100.00 on top of the room price as not only taking keys, but they can do damage or smoke etc and you wont get any compensation . If the guest wants to checkout before reception opens, well thats to bad ,they just have to wait.Since we started doing this we havent had any room damage or keys go missing because we inspect the room before they leave. I would rather not have the guest stay if they arent prepared to pay a deposit.
                    Lots of time i ask them if they have a credit card and they say no , but i can see a visa etc in there wallet. Its amazing how quickly they tend to find a credit card if it`s late and not much choice. Yes sometimes a customer will decide to not stay , but I would rather sleep at night than be worried about them doing damage etc. then doing a runner.

BMM

Participant
                    • Topics Started 6
                    • Replies 46

Paul,
                      While we have never had anyone re-enter the room after taking a key, It has happened in our town.
                      Most people will just throw the key away if they are too ignorant to return it, which can be a problem if tag is still attached.
                      We have however occasionally changed locks to separate rooms if keys have been taken.
                      This solves the problem of not having master keyed locks and it is doubtful if a guest would try other locks if the tag has a room number attached.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.