Motel Mingle Forums Legal lIquor Licence

• Creator

Topic

MVM

Participant

Hi Again,

After some more advice. Looking into a liquor licence for supplying liquor from reception. Contacted the VCGLR in Vic about which licence to get. They wouldn’t tell me and told me to contact a lawyer. For the motliers in Victoria, which licence do you have for just having beer and wine in reception fridge and no mini bar etc.
      I think the renewable limited licence would be ok but not sure.

Thanks
      Marty

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

Kate

Participant
        • Topics Started 4
        • Replies 7

We currently have 4 beers available by the 6 pack only. We won’t be selling individual stubbies. 6 packs range from $18 to $26, depending on the beer. We do stock some local craft beer, hence the high price. We were never wanting to sell pre mixed drinks so not sure how you will go with those.

Kate

Participant
          • Topics Started 4
          • Replies 7

We can sell 3 white wines, 3 red wines and up to 6 different beers at any one time. And each transaction can only be for one bottle of wine and up to 6 beers.

All of this came about after our notice period too, so we thought we wouldn’t have any issues. Doesn’t worry us too much as that is all we were wanting to sell.

MVM

Participant
              • Topics Started 10
              • Replies 58

That’s pretty good, i was panicking it would only be a couple of different beers etc, but 6 is good.
                What about premix drinks?
                How much do you sell your stubbies/cans for if you don’t mind me hassling. We had another motel owner that visited tell us that if you overcharge people won’t buy and they’ll do the math with how much it costs at the pub. He suggested $4.50 to $5 for a stubby.

Thanks again
                Marty

MVM

Participant
              • Topics Started 10
              • Replies 58

Thanks Kate, We have applied and are now doing the 28 day public notice period.. Interesting you saying about the limited lines your allowed to sell, i was getting my hopes up for offering a little variety.. So how many are you allowed to sell at any one time? How many different varieties? Are you allowed to sell premixed cans etc?

Thanks again Kate

Kate

Participant
                • Topics Started 4
                • Replies 7

Hi Marty, We have just received our Renewable Limited license, about 2 months after applying. In order to apply for a liquor license in Victoria, you must have completed a current RSA as well as a Licensees First Steps program. We did ours at William Angliss tafe in the city. They were quite tough on how our license would be limited in nature, so we have eventually had a number of conditions imposed to make it even more limited in nature. We only sell wine and beer from reception to registered motel guests, but the VCGLR made us limit the number of lines we can sell at any one time, as well as limit the amount we can sell per transaction. Anyway, after a few months of back and forth, it came through in the mail last week, and we have already had our first wine sale. Good luck with it all, Cheers, Kate

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.