Less than honest owners/managers

Motel Mingle Forums Relief Managers Less than honest owners/managers

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Paul Paul 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Why can’t owners/managers just be honest about the FULL list of expected duties of the relief management team BEFORE we get to your motel?

Sorry, just venting!

• Author
    Replies
    Paul
    Paul
    Participant
    • Topics Started 24
    • Replies 80

Hi Howie, we’re based in Central Queensland and so don’t really go as far as Victoria I’m afraid. Have you tried the various agencies like ‘Caretakers Australia’ (They are based in VIC)?

Paul
    Paul
    Participant
    • Topics Started 24
    • Replies 80

Hi Howie, WOW, a 24 hour check-in machine! We’ve never been THAT lucky! 🙂

In answer to the question, what is expected of a relief manager then all of the above would be, dependent on charges. Generally we would do all of your duties in the 17 room motel but not usually perform the housekeeping (there are exceptions). We understand completely why owners/managers would do that themselves as it’s important from a profit sense but that’s not so for an employee/relief manager. I used to run my own plastering business and worked from 5:30am until 8pm but when I bought my own plastering supplies business I couldn’t expect the employees to do the same could I? Do you see where I’m coming from?
    Our charges are generally between $250 and $350 a day for the both of us as a couple for any given 24 hour period. Generally if a motel is open from say 7am until 9pm then that’s still a 14 hour day no matter how its looked at and that works out at way less than $10 per hour each. But, that’s what we decide to do as a business and we know that. Remember also that relief managers are generally self-employed and have to still pay their own tax, insurance, super and holidays etc.
    Our base rate would cover up to 20 rooms with open/close duties, room stripping and replenishing etc. As I say, generally speaking, we don’t do housekeeping but will on occasions do a small number to help out (say 4) but this would then raise the daily fee by around $20 per couple (say $270 instead of $250). Breakfast cooking is usually part of the job but evening meal prep can also mean a further fee (say $20 per couple again).
    To summarise; a small (under 20 rooms) motel with no housekeeping or meals would attract a base fee.
    A small motel with some housekeeping and/or meal preparation would be slightly higher.
    Sometimes if financial duties are also required (i.e. BAS, EOM, Wages, MYOB etc) again another fee would be required.
    For example, we did run a 32 room motel with FULL accountability including breakfasts, shuttle buses and financial accounting/reporting that was charged at $350 a day.
    I hope this gives you an idea as to what to expect and charge? To answer your original question; ALL of the duties mentioned by yourself would/could be expected given the right managers and the right charges.

howie
      Participant
      • Topics Started 3
      • Replies 71

Thanks for your detailed response, for both sides of the equation to get an understanding of what each expects of one another. It gives owners and relief managers a good starting point to work from to come to an agreement as to what one expects.Thats what this site is for
      We installed the 24 hour checkin machine to give us flexibility in office hours and for guests to self serve, self checkin , etc . Sometimes we will be away for a day or 2.
      But we also use it to have days off when it is quiet so we can go out for the day but we don`t miss bookings.
      We have had the odd guest have a sook about self checkin but it is really the exception. Just like Kmart , Woolies, Airports, etc. people are getting used to it

Also do you do relief managing in Victoria?

Paul
    Paul
    Participant
    • Topics Started 24
    • Replies 80

That’s also very true Busybees and highlights the need to contact any referees, although as we know these can be easily fudged also (mates of mates of mates etc). As relief/contract managers ourselves we have had, on occasion, the need to employ relief management to help us out and boy, what a nightmare! We had over 80 apply once and cut it down to six and quickly whittled that down to one who was best of a bad bunch. These were people who had owned their own motel for years and who we thought would be OK 0 they weren’t.
    A lot of people;
    a) Don’t know HOW to run a motel
    b) Want to run the motel THEIR way
    c) Change every policy and procedure that you’ve had for a long time to suit themselves
    d) Are inherently lazy

It is VERY difficult to get good, reliable people who know what they’re doing *BTW, if ever you need someone, give us a call) and we understand how daunting it can be for an owner/manager to put their business in the hands of strangers…

I’d be interested to know what you mean by ‘the price we pay them!’ because in our experience the daily rates of pay are quite low considering its a couple who are in charge for 24 hours a day each day. Having said that, we love what we do and always give 100% whereby we know lots don’t.

howie
      Participant
      • Topics Started 3
      • Replies 71

Hi Paul, so would I be able to ask what duties do you think would be expected of a relief management couple.
      I ask this so we as owners can get an understanding of what relief managers think is a fair rate for what duties.
      So for instance , we have a 17 room country motel ,
      average occ 68% ,
      no cooked breakfasts for relief managers to do only continentals served to room
      help strip rooms,
      clean rooms, if only 4 rooms to do
      cleaner/s available for over 4 rooms
      run the office
      24 hour checkin machine ( so no getting out of bed , middle of the night)
      Keep pool area/filter tidy ( filter is automatic)

considering as owners we do these duties and more but most work is done by 12 noon , with only really only
      answering phones and checkins to do for the rest of the day

Do you think these duties are reasonable and what rate would you be looking at?
      These are just suggestions and ideas so as owners and relief managers can have perspective from both sides. If I am being unrealistic I would love for you to list duties etc and rates ,look forward to your input to the discussion

Busybees
    Busybees
    Participant
    • Topics Started 22
    • Replies 231

Unfortunately this goes both ways….dishonest relief staff that say they do “stuff” but you find out exactly what they are and are NOT doing!! AND for the price we pay them! So disheartening when you try so hard build up your business and to have someone knock it down after only 3 days relieving!!!

howie
    Participant
    • Topics Started 3
    • Replies 71

Just as a suggestion you could make a list of the things you will not do. Then the Owners can decide ahead of time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.