• Creator

Topic

Mr PetersenMr Petersen

Blocked

Internet – Free or not to FREE?

Do we supply free internet or charge for it.

I am currently away and staying at a Crowne Plaza for a few days. Parking is $29 per day. Internet is $6 per hour or $30 a day. On top of the $300+ per night.

Are small motels giving too much and thereby running a lean business. Guests will go for the cheapest and always play one motel against the other. Avoid price wars and stick to your rates. UP the rates and on sell your services?

Yes, No Maybe ??

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

Mr PetersenMr Petersen

Blocked
        • Topics Started 4
        • Replies 61

Yes, PortlandCabbage. Good point, but I record the fee as an extra charge as I prefer to track the charges applied for internet. I can use the stats to learn about trends. Guests have the option NOT to pay if they don’t need internet and save $5.00. We do hand out a few freebies too.
          Keeping our traffic to a minimum gives a much better service to those who are prepared to pay the $5.
          As I mentioned before, there are many expensive high class hotels charging up to $30 and more. Why do smaller properties have to give everything away for free. Are we not here to make decent revenue?
          I vary my rates by the hour. We use Guestpoint which allows for dynamic rate adjustments. So if I were to just give away internet, I would really have no way of tracking or justifying the service.
          I can tell you that I have taken $500 for the 4 months just for internet. It pays for my internet services and phones.

PortlandcabbagePortlandcabbage

Participant
          • Topics Started 2
          • Replies 22

I would rather increase my rates by a few dollars and offer my guests Free wifi. It is then a win-win situation, the guest is happy not paying for wifi and I get great comments about it being “Free”
            Worth while trying this method.

Mr PetersenMr Petersen

Blocked
            • Topics Started 4
            • Replies 61

Tiddy

As per the rules we have had pointed out, we have strayed off topic. I will address my reply in the appropriate area.

We are one of over 100 motels in the area. Nearly everyone has free wifi, but we are able to charge for it. Any one can do it. You just have to be THAT one.

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
              • Topics Started 22
              • Replies 232

We give free internet to our standard/deluxe/unit rooms but if they book a budget room and want WI-Fi we charge them $10 per stay. It costs us nothing either as its the same line etc as for the motel, speed is not exceptional but it no complaints.
                I am with Tiddywazza, if you don’t offer free Wi-Fi and free Foxtel, guests will go elsewhere.
                We unfortunately aren’t the only motel in the area! and yes there is one operator in particular who is screwing everybody down, not just us little guys!! He has broken the unwritten/unspoken agreement regarding sandwich boards!! No ethics!!! This was one of the reasons i asked about motels association, so perhaps this could be something that was brought up at a gathering!! Sorry Mick, this should be in the other forum!!

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                • Topics Started 12
                • Replies 90

Thanks for your personal views but I am confused, no mention was made by me of low rates or poor quality.

Mr PetersenMr Petersen

Blocked
                  • Topics Started 4
                  • Replies 61

Your competition must be screwing themselves down so tight, they can just scratch a living. Someone has too attract the guests who look for better quality. I will not stay at a motel that advertises really low rates. I look for the most expensive and work down to a reasonable budget. There are guests who will happily pay for quality. I bet there are a lot of guests in your town that would happily pay more for better quality.

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                    • Topics Started 12
                    • Replies 90

Your locality is certainly different to mine. The guests did not stay at any of our areas venues when there was a price on internet access and austar/foxtel. You have to be a no charge operator or you get very little business. You are most fortunate to be able to run your own race against your competitors and still make a decent Dollar.

Mr PetersenMr Petersen

Blocked
                      • Topics Started 4
                      • Replies 61

All I’m saying is that I get my internet fee back and then some.
                        I pay 50 bux for unlimited internet and I get back a lot more in revenue..
                        All for $5 a time. Guests see it as economical and I get a return and profit.

imageBallina Colonial Motel

Participant
                        • Topics Started 10
                        • Replies 87

No, this does not cost me a cent. I have to pay $80 for my ADSL regardless, but that provides access for all users, both myself and my customers.

Mr PetersenMr Petersen

Blocked
                          • Topics Started 4
                          • Replies 61

I appreciate that most small motels supply internet for free. We charge $5.00 per stay for our guests. They can use any number of devices, unlimited download, for the length of their stay. The fees cover the cost of the internet service that we are charged, so from that angle your internet is costing you.

And most motels around us are also advertising free internet. Doesn’t mean we have to.

imageBallina Colonial Motel

Participant
                            • Topics Started 10
                            • Replies 87

These days the expectation is that Motels provide free wifi access. Five years ago, this was not the case and everyone charged a small fee for its use. We were in fact slow in dropping the charge and lost business as a result.

Many Motels around here even have ‘free wifi’ on their signage, so you have to go with the flow. I don’t provide the same down load speed or band width as the Plaza, but more than adequate for our customer base usage.

Cost wise; it costs me nothing! I use the same ADSL line and modem that I need to run the motel. The only cost was a more powerful aerial that cost me all of $125.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.