This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Busybees Busybees 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator

Topic

Paul
    Paul

Participant

Apparently are offering their ‘loyal customers’ a free night for every 10 stayed in qualifying motels. The 10 nights can be a combination of any motels apparently.
      We have just had a guest stay with us for 4 nights and she wanted the 4th night free. I told her I didn’t know anything about the ‘free nights’ programme and, to be honest, have hardly had anything to do with Hotels.com. She said ‘Well, you’re part of the programme!”. I said again that I didn’t realise we were and when I looked it up on Hotels.com it did indeed state that we were part of the ‘free nights’ programme.
      I didn’t give this guest the ‘free night’ and she was OK about it but I ask you all this question; Who asked us if we wanted to be part of this ‘loyalty programme’? Also, who pays for this ‘free night’?
      Answers on a postcard please…..

• Author

Replies

Busybees
      Busybees

Participant
      • Topics Started 22
      • Replies 231

Both the ACCC and the AAOA are both toothless tigers. I don’t know what we can do as far as getting something done to stop this.
        The ACCC should never have allowed whatif.com to be sold to expectmore.com (sorry I don’t like giving these nasties any sort of free advertising). Unfortunately no one in our industry (in any sort of power) stood up for us or voiced our concerns. Like most union leaders, they are there to feather their own nests and forget about their members rights!!
        We need someone that knows the industry, and a bit of legal jargon to go to the media and get the message out there. JUST what is actually happening the rip off commission, the extra nights etc, the tax free commission!!
        Its just not fair. We cant compete against these nasties.
        I wish I had an answer too Paul!

Paul
        Paul

Participant
        • Topics Started 24
        • Replies 80

Unfortunately now with their ‘incentives’ (i.e. Genius booker, free nights etc) it is getting harder and harder for us to say to guests “Book direct and I’ll give it you cheaper’. I don’t know what the answer is, I really don’t. They’re not lowering their commissions to us, they just using it to ‘bribe’ guests. Something has to give soon…..

Paul
          Paul

Participant
          • Topics Started 24
          • Replies 80

I have just emailed ‘Hotels.com’ (not an easy process I can tell you!) and see what they come back with. I am sick to death of them deciding to sell incentives to their guests without our knowledge. Agoda are serial offenders of this also….

Angimon

Participant
              • Topics Started 14
              • Replies 80

Hi Paul. Just look up Expedia+ Rewards. It’s their way of ensuring guests book with them, not direct. And we pay for it via commissions! It would be great if the ACCC could stop it, but I have a feeling nothing would happen!
                Excerpt from Expedia.com:

“To begin collecting Expedia+ points, create an Expedia account or sign in to your existing account when you book travel.

How it works

You will collect:
                •2 points per AUD1 spent on hotels or holiday packages that include a hotel.
                •2 points per AUD1 spent on activities.
                •1 point per AUD5 spent on flights.
                •2 points per AUD1 spent on cars.”

Busybees
              Busybees

Participant
              • Topics Started 22
              • Replies 231

Expectmore.com and all its underlings have this program. We were supposed to be advised of this by email some months back.
                I actually emailed them and told them I did not receive the email and I did not want to be a part of this program, remove me immediately and I will not honour any scheme (scam) without my consent, that you devise.
                the reply said that I was not in this rewards scheme and not to be concerned.

I would suggest that you all send them an email to say you want to opt out of this scam /scheme, so that you have in writing, that you are not a participant! the same was brought up on another accommo providers community site that I am on. They too have “opted out” to save themselves grief!

Angimon

Participant
                  • Topics Started 14
                  • Replies 80

Hi Busybees

I would be interested to know the other site that you are on. Would it be possible for you to message me the details?

Busybees
                      Busybees

Participant
                      • Topics Started 22
                      • Replies 231

Sorry Angimon, it is a closed community!

Angimon

Participant
                    • Topics Started 14
                    • Replies 80

Hi Paul

This is the issue I raised last week on “the new wotif’ thread. This is their loyalty program named Expedia+. Members receive points for booking via Expedia, which they can redeem for free nights or money off bookings. The guest I dealt with told me that booking via Expedia, in real terms, cost him $100 – a price I couldn’t match. Expedia are now using the money we pay them in commissions to encourage guests to book via them. I can’t match the price so now my claim of “book direct to save” is not valid in all cases. Where is the ACCC when you need them… obviously not looking in to this!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.