Motel Mingle Forums Guests Behaving Badly Guests Behaving Badly Register

• Creator

Topic

holidaylodge

Participant

Could this site be a medium to allow accommodation providers the opportunity to share information on guests who have behaved badly.
      The provider could share their experience, regarding what they deem as “bad behavior” It may be smoking in a smoke free area, or loud and drinking, to leaving without paying.
      This subject on this website could give us a valuable tool, to share any bad guest experiences. Unhappy customers can go to trip adviser type sites and make comments, true or untrue, that directly affect our businesses.
      In some way we could return serve through this site , making participants aware of any problem guests.

Viewing 28 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

PortlandcabbagePortlandcabbage

Participant
        • Topics Started 2
        • Replies 22

Hi Brumby, I did get the guests name but guess what, he gave me a different name and phone number to the previous visit. I didn’t ask for a licence as I have never had a problem before with workers staying here. Live and Learn, as they say.

Brumby

Participant
          • Topics Started 3
          • Replies 30

I today read a GBB on Mildura Chimney Sweep. My booking sheet requires guest name and drivers licence as mandatory. Inn Keepers act requires more info. If members can record the guest name confirmed by photo ID, we all can then record this info and put it in our PMS. People may change business name but usually their name or licence number. Can I request members to provide as much info as possible.
            I also get credit card number to enable me to charge for additional costs. I have not lost any customers when I ask for photo ID and credit card. I simply say it is to protect you the customer from credit card fraud.

toptownmotel

Participant
            • Topics Started 1
            • Replies 7

This site is well and truly worth it. I keep a record so that I know when someone is heading my way. At tis time I have ha only one of the alerts try to make a booking and I stated straight way, I would need credit card details for security. They decided against staying.

Angimon

Participant
              • Topics Started 14
              • Replies 80

YES, working and worth doing. I have a folder in my email where I retain all the alerts… to date I haven’t come across anyone that I’ve been warned of, but I look in that folder when I get that gut feeling that something isn’t right with a guest!

Liz

Participant
                • Topics Started 1
                • Replies 16

Is this service still working and is it worth doing?

robguy27

Participant
                  • Topics Started 2
                  • Replies 34

Of course it is absolutely legal – all industries do it – everyone does it , banks, real estate agents etc etc.

toptownmotel

Participant
                    • Topics Started 1
                    • Replies 7

I personally think it is a great idea as this is the only way I have of knowing and this way I can keep an eye out and know what to do.

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
                      • Topics Started 37
                      • Replies 64

Hi guys,
                        I have had a few people with concerns with the “Members Beware Alerts” with people wondering if it is legal to name bad guests etc.

Please be assured that when you send in the details of bad guests, I do not publish your name or establishment in the Alert message to other members.
                        As far as I am concerned, we are a group of motel operators who are sharing and helping each other and that includes warning each other of anything we need to be aware of.
                        It’s designed to help the next accommodation provider “make an informed decision on how to best prepare for that guests arrival.”

Finding answers.        Sharing ideas.        Solving problems.

bellavilla166

Participant
                        • Topics Started 3
                        • Replies 16

I would love the idea of setting up “guests behaving badly”

I find that getting extra money for cleaning or replacing broken articles after they have left is hard enough if you have their details but almost impossible if you are using a virtual credit card system by wotif etc as it only allows a one time payment.

So informing other Motels is a step forward

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
                          • Topics Started 37
                          • Replies 64

Some reservation systems allow guest lists of names and black list the guest. That way when that particular guest makes a reservation with you, the name is highlighted and you are aware of any important information you may need before the reservation is confirmed.

PEPE

Participant
                            • Topics Started 6
                            • Replies 6

Hi MM
                              So its only the alerts and not a list, that’s fine.
                              I have made a file to send these emails to for reference
                              Cheers…

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
                              • Topics Started 37
                              • Replies 64

If anyone is having any problem with the email alerts, please let me know. THANKS

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
                                • Topics Started 37
                                • Replies 64

Hey PEPE, open up the email and read the alert details. I will not be publishing the details on the website due to privacy laws.

If you are not seeing the details, let me know.

PEPE

Participant
                                  • Topics Started 6
                                  • Replies 6

Ok so its up and running . I have had an alert but are these alerts listed somewhere so we can look them up. Or am I not looking close enough… Cheers Pepe

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
                                    • Topics Started 37
                                    • Replies 64

OK Guys, Sorry it has come so late but I hope I have finally finished the “Members Beware Alerts” for guests behaving badly.
                                      You can find the link on the home page to register for the alerts.

Remember that the service will need everyone’s support so make sure you register to receive the alerts and also make sure that you also send in alerts on the contact form so that all members are also kept informed.

If you think we can improve on the system or anything else on the website, please let me know.

Angimon

Participant
                                      • Topics Started 14
                                      • Replies 80

Definitely interested

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
                                        • Topics Started 37
                                        • Replies 64

Ok guys, just letting you know that I am working on the alert system and hope to have it up and running by the end of the week.

PEPE

Participant
                                          • Topics Started 6
                                          • Replies 6

Hmmm didn’t read this b4 putting the topic called name and shame up.
                                            As you would guess I am fully in favour of nameing bad guests

toptownmotel

Participant
                                            • Topics Started 1
                                            • Replies 7

We are definitely interested in sharing information pn “bad
                                              ‘ guests.

robguy27

Participant
                                              • Topics Started 2
                                              • Replies 34

Yes we would be interested in sharing any information on ‘bad” guests

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
                                                • Topics Started 37
                                                • Replies 64

At the moment, 4 motels have expressed interest in this service on the forums and a few have have emailed me. This is not enough to justify setting up the email system and I need more of you to tell me that you are interested.

I can set it up in a way that you will never have to pay for the system as long as we can encourage a lot more people to be part of it. When the system is all set up and you have registered for the service,all you have to do is send in an email when you believe that other members of the service need to know about any guests behaving badly. The system will then send an email to all members registered for the service.

I can have this up and running very soon. So come on and express your interest.

holidaylodge

Participant
                                                  • Topics Started 2
                                                  • Replies 5

I think it is a good idea. I also support the method outlined above. YHA have a similar service, are any participants familiar with their system of notification.
                                                    I had a visit from another motelier today, informing me of a guest who is local and a problem. Here ( in Narooma) we all get on and help each other, and let each other know about any problem guests.
                                                    We also have a “shop” where we purchase supplies at good prices and other accommodation providers can purchase goods from the shop. For example, if we purchase six boxes of biscuits we save around $10 a box. It works a treat.

toptownmotel

Participant
                                                    • Topics Started 1
                                                    • Replies 7

I think this is a great idea. I am lucky to be informed by another motel in this town, however, if she didn’t let me know, I would have no idea and as a non-chain provider would probably make some mistakes.

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
                                                      • Topics Started 37
                                                      • Replies 64

I am happy to take the next step with setting up an email system to notify active subscribers of guests behaving badly. I will not be keeping a database or any information sent in. I will simply ask that subscribers that register for this service to simply notify me of the relevant information of guests behaving badly and I will then send this information to all other subscribers.

Basically, the service will be the same as you may be getting from motel chain head office when they are notified of any guests behaving badly.

Let me know your thoughts and if there is a demand for this service, I will implement it ASAP.

holidaylodge

Participant
                                                        • Topics Started 2
                                                        • Replies 5

If we have any concerns about guest in our town , we do a ring around to inform all other accommodation providers of any problems that we have had.
                                                          When a guest or guest’s do the wrong thing they usually move to the next town .
                                                          What we could don this site, is to notify all participants of the vehicle rego number, and some detail of what had been their experience.
                                                          If the guest is say from Victoria ( registration plates) and plays up here in Narooma, there is every chance they are heading home , so all participants south of us would be aware and take the necessary action.
                                                          One of the advantages of chain membership is bad guest notifications.
                                                          We as non chain providers,we could do something like that on this site.

CVM

Participant
                                                          • Topics Started 13
                                                          • Replies 32

At the moment, we are receiving warnings from our head office as we are members of a motel chain. When any chain member feels that information should be passed onto other members in regards to guests behaving badly, they simply notify head office by email and the head office will then send the warning to all other members.

Are there any other methods you guys are using?

imageBonny

Participant
                                                            • Topics Started 0
                                                            • Replies 5

Great Idea, let us share.

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
                                                              • Topics Started 37
                                                              • Replies 64

Does anyone know what happened to a site called Guestsbehavingbadly which was around 3 to 5 years ago? I am not familiar with it but after doing some internet search, this site was mentioned as a database for guests behaving badly.

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
                                                                • Topics Started 37
                                                                • Replies 64

I am happy to look into this further. It sounds like a great idea however very cautious at the moment due to my lack of knowledge of the Privacy Act in this area. I will be happily guided by anyone who has knowledge in this area or who has suggestions in which way we can proceed.

Viewing 28 reply threads
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.