Motel Mingle Forums General Chit Chat General Business Conditions

• Creator

Topic

Mountain Man

Participant

Just wondering how everyone is faring out there. We have an inland 19 unit motel with no direct competition.
      Our turnover has fallen a bit the last 2 years, become somewhat inconsistent and this month (Jan 15) things have taken a nosedive and we are about 140-150 rooms down on last year. A bit perplexing considering that January is one of our strongest and most consistent months. Lowest Jan figure for 12 years (by a long way).
      With the drop in fuel prices I would of expected a strong month, but there you go.
      Anecdotally this downturn seems to be across most business in the region.

Viewing 16 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
        • Topics Started 22
        • Replies 232

I don’t want to jinx us, but we have picked up also, Jan started poorly took 18 steps forward then 14 back 20 forward and May has gone ahead already so lets hope it continues also!!
          Speaking to the laundry guys always gives us an insight to how we are traveling…
          as compared to the other places in town and the surrounding towns also, (especially if i ask!)
          Though it is nowhere near what it was with our 6 permanents obviously!! but at least we are still here unlike some 🙁

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
          • Topics Started 12
          • Replies 94

OOPS careless typo, I should say March & April have been excellent, now May following on….

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
            • Topics Started 12
            • Replies 94

Also April & May have been very fruitful for us. Quite unexpected but most welcome. May has been continuing in the same direction.

StephanieStephanie

Participant
              • Topics Started 6
              • Replies 43

Thank goodness it is not only us. Our figures for January were terrible, Feb OK, March slow, Apr Ok, May looking good. Hope it continues. We are coastal and close to Brisbane and feel the business & trade travellers not staying out of town is affecting us the most.

Stephanie@ Redcliffe Motor Inn

Mountain Man

Participant
                • Topics Started 2
                • Replies 26

After our dreadful January, we have now posted 3 strong months and May looks to be going the same way. Go figure.
                  I guess that June will take its usual plunge into the abyss, but I suppose there is some positivity.

BMM

Participant
                  • Topics Started 6
                  • Replies 46

I would join you all by saying that business is not getting any easier.
                    We are still holding occupancy rate, but with more business online, fees are hurting our bottom line.
                    However, be positive, because when you look at general business conditions and how many big names are in downturn, you need to believe that you are doing something right to remain profitable.
                    We bought into our Motel 12 years agoin the knowledge that we may not make our fortune, but it is satisfying to run your own show, and like TIDYWAZZA always look for something small that may bring in the extra 1 or 2 guests.

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                    • Topics Started 12
                    • Replies 94

Thanks Busybees for the positive understanding. We have been doing the complimentary breakfast for around 8 1/2 years. We certainly gain more in good PR and happy guests & great posts than the continental style freebies cost us. I really hated taking trays to rooms with the guests not answering (in shower, toilet, asleep forgot the time) returning again then maybe disposing of a cold breakfast (another loss). When I crunched the numbers a reasonable profit was not always achievable. So now they need to come to us under our terms or not partake of it. Hot breakfast is available in our dining room by ordering the night before and stating their preferred time, of course this still entitles them to the complimentary items as well. No fires around us, there is nothing to burn near this town even though we have not seen substantial rain for months and the region is very, very dry. The level of the Murray River near here is very low.

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                      • Topics Started 22
                      • Replies 232

Nope not any where near the potential bush fires, i like everyone else have just had a downturn in occupancy over the past 12 months/ I’m guessing Tiddywazza is the same, and was just trying to improve that rate

imageBallina Colonial Motel

Participant
                        • Topics Started 10
                        • Replies 87

Not sure where some of you guys are located, but could you proximity to potential bush fire areas have anything to do with it?

People don’t go in the water when we have Great Whites about (yes, we are right next to Shelly Beach!), so does the same apply, especially during the holiday periods?

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                          • Topics Started 22
                          • Replies 232

I think Idywazza was using the free breakfast to entice people to stay. Whats a few bucks free for breakie if you can get the extra bucks for the beds??

Mr PetersenMr Petersen

Blocked
                            • Topics Started 4
                            • Replies 61

Why give things away for free when you can charge.

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                              • Topics Started 12
                              • Replies 94

Hi. here in North West Victoria things have been a little flat, particularly late 2014. We were surprised at the Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing day figures were full close to full each night. January was not as good as we hoped and looking at our history from 2000 onward things are fairly slow overall especially week ends. I am over trying to make a dollar from room serviced breakfasts. Now it is complimentary continental self served in our dining room. We give them 1 1/2 hours to help themselves to a free breakfast, Come and get it or go without. Surprising how many folks cannot make it.

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
                                • Topics Started 22
                                • Replies 232

We too have found that we are down, We can account for most of ours….
                                  *we lost 6 permanent rooms about 12 months ago
                                  * the rep trade is definitely down over the past 3 years(that we have been here) we have noticed the difference
                                  * bookings.com/channel manager/ and PMS couldn’t sort themselves out so we lost a lot of business over approx 3 months, (unbeknownst to us at the time as to why)
                                  BUT having said that, the laundry company that we use, has said, this is the worst they have seen in the past 25 years. This appears to be the general consensus amongst other operators in our city.
                                  It will only get worse in our city, as the council keeps allowing more and more motels/apartments to be built. Yes we do have lots of things happening every week but the already established providers aren’t full.
                                  Last year in our 2 major peak periods, when EVERYBODY in town and the surrounding communities usually book out, EVERYONE had vacancies!! (this could have something to do with the tariff that gets charged by some but that’s for another forum!)
                                  We attended a conference back in Feb 2011, and they had told us then that 2014, would be the year that would make or break you. If you made it through 2014 you should be OK. How right they were!!
                                  We have just returned from 8 days away and found that the down turn is across the board, motel operators on the south coast appear to be doing it tough as does the retail trade. There are so many empty shops in every size town that we traveled through. It is really sad for all concerned, and quite a worry as an operator.
                                  Here’s hoping that this year is better!!

Mountain Man

Participant
                                  • Topics Started 2
                                  • Replies 26

Oh, and Angimon, we ran last year very similar to you. Generally down, but one moth (November) that blew every previous Nov out of the water, but otherwise generally down.

Mountain Man

Participant
                                    • Topics Started 2
                                    • Replies 26

Yes, we have about 12 years history and it was the lowest January since 2003, and about 40-odd rooms less than the next worst (2004). Weekend trade has generally been ok, but weeknights have been very poor. We thought that the lower fuel prices would get people moving, as in the past a raising of fuel prices would make an impact, but no. Our motel is well kept, and halfway through a renovation. Our room rates are about 23% higher than 10 years ago (that is probably close to inflation average) and anyway, it’s not just us. They don’t seem to be going anywhere else, they are just not going…..or at least not going this way. People are not spending as much on extras the last few years, especially breakfasts.
                                      February weekend bookings look good, it still the weekdays. Not as many workers, not as many travellers, not as many reps, and last month not as many families.
                                      I can only assume that it is an indicative of the level of consumer confidence. A fiscal speed bump perhaps?
                                      Sadly if it continues the next victims will be the restaurant staff, as while I am ok with it pretty much breaking even I don’t have much tolerance for a loss.
                                      Ain’t that funny BCM, our strongest years were in the middle of the GFC…….our graph runs different to yours…..in the ascendancy starting from 2005 peaking in 09-11 and then sliding in 12 & 13 with a small recovery in 14. I’m not game to predict this year!
                                      I’m presently working on some low-cost, highly targeted marketing at the moment. If it works as I plan it will help boost weekends some more. It is harder to come up with an effective idea for weekday trade as I’m struggling to think of anything that will produce tangible benefits. I hate scattergun advertising…..so cost inefficient.

imageBallina Colonial Motel

Participant
                                      • Topics Started 10
                                      • Replies 87

Wow Mountain Man, that looks like a huge hit. By my calculation you are looking at being close to 30% down this month to date?

O.K. I am costal, but if I look at the month of January in isolation, I am about 10% down. Now our holiday season only runs till mid month and is then heavily influenced by what ‘trade’ work is being done in the area; this year not a lot.

I also have 12 years history (oh dear looks like we have all been in this industry for far too long!), but because of the above ‘trade’ work I look at the results slightly differently. I look at how many consecutive days we are fully occupied over the Christmas holiday period. Now on this basis, 2014/15 was an above average year; not a record year, that was in 2005/6 and 2012/13 and our worst was 2009/10 in the middle of the GFC.

Angimon

Participant
                                        • Topics Started 14
                                        • Replies 80

Hi Mountain Man
                                          We have found over the last two years our occupancy has fallen slightly, and we are finding inconsistencies as well. We have figures going back about 12 years, and for a lot of the time you could simply look at the year before and predict occupancy down to the room. Not last year! For one month last year we were up 14% for no apparent reason, and down 3-5% for most others, once again, for no apparent reason. We are also inland and businesses as a whole in the area are down.
                                          Hopefully this is just a blip on the radar, and things pick up for you soon 🙂

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.