Motel Mingle Forums Online Bookings Expedia and Booking.com

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Cassius 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator

Topic

Paul
    Paul

Participant

Is it just me or does it drive everyone else mad that each day when I try to log into their extranets it either asks me to receive a PIN number by phone or a PIN number by email. Everyday! Don’t you think they’d remember my username and password?

• Author

Replies

Cassius

Participant
      • Topics Started 2
      • Replies 25

We are retiring as motel managers and moving from Vic to Queensland – Bundaberg region.
        I was looking at motels to stay via booking.com, found a motel which looked fine and then found their website.
        Opened it and went to book. A pop up appeared. Stating “Join our motel club and get 10% off your booking – just add your email address”

It gets round the problem of not being able to advertise the lower prices on the “club” page than you can on your normal page and gets around the illegal requirements of the OTA’s ie predatory pricing.

eddwina

Participant
          • Topics Started 1
          • Replies 3

Hi Cassius

Any idea what product they were using? for the pop up?
            We currently have our website 10% cheaper than OTAs but do offer the same to their guests if they are ‘members’
            of OTA.
            We also probably couldn’t do without them…..
            Any feedback on price structure would be greatly appreciated…
            TIA

Cassius

Participant
              • Topics Started 2
              • Replies 25

I think you would have to ask your website designer how to do that.
                How do you manage prices lower than the OTA’s.

eddwina

Participant
                  • Topics Started 1
                  • Replies 3

I guess ‘technically’ I am the same price and the OTA because their members can also have the 10%… otherwise I can only offer the price match over the phone or direct.

My channel manager is siteminder and they have a pop up called trip tease but it is quite expensive and they are only interested in motels with more that 40 rooms (I think they said 40) we only have 24….

Cassius

Participant
                      • Topics Started 2
                      • Replies 25

Same as you – siteminder.
                        We frequently give a lower price for phone bookings generally about 7% but will go to 10%. All tradies get 10% something the previous managers never did so we are often 40% with tradies and more importantly they keep coming back. We have 24 rooms all ground level and our only opposion whilst having more rooms is on two stories with basically two room apartments ground floor. Tradies don’t like too much as they have to go downstairs if they want a smoke or just join their mates outside for a few beers after work. Heads on beds that is what it is all about.

Busybees
                Busybees

Participant
                • Topics Started 22
                • Replies 231

I know this is a little “off” topic, but it is still to do with OTAs

I hope like us all of you are educating your guests on the best way to book a motel????? This is what we do, and we are finding that our guests are very happy to do it this way in future, especially when they find out how much money is going to america un-taxed!! (the last we heard was $54 BIllion)

I say, can I show how to save you money, me money AND Australia money?
                  *Type in “accommodation town/city”
                  *Ignore the first 3 written websites and come down to google map.
                  *this shows you where every provider is located (so you can see where you will be located BEFORE you book) then click on your choice.
                  *this will bring up the motel’s address, phone number, photos and reviews and the different tariffs from diff OTAs.
                  *Ring the motel directly and say, I have just found a room for $X will you match it? Providing its the same room type and for the same dates sure! (I know there is one in our town that wont price match and I canNOT understand why…after-all it is us that give the otas the price so surely we can honour our prices!!)

If we ALL start to tell them then its got to be to our benefit.
                  Please will you all start trying this?? Let me know the reaction from your guests, and your feelings?
                  cheers

Cassius

Participant
                    • Topics Started 2
                    • Replies 25

Whilst we are all suffering the robbery of Booking.com and Expedia, we also will not accept bookings from other OTA especially Flight Centre and all its affiliates ie Corporate Travel, Stage and Screen, Student Flights and many others. In the past FC always demanded charge back with at least a 10% discount on our price and yet charged an extra 10% to the client. We were lucky if we got paid in less than 3 months. Now we only accept bookings with a valid credit card but still get slugged for a travel agents commission which comes in Via Onyx a Dutch company.

Guests on arrival are told the best way to “make a booking” many will immediately cancel their booking especially when they hear how much money is taken out of Australia each year TAX FREE. We will take a new booking for them at a lower price that at least matches what they paid to Expedia or Booking.com have offered.

We should also be informing all our elected officials of the OTA robbery. It is currently under investigation by the ACCC in Canberra but little progress.

We also need to remind ourselves that Flight Centre was penalised $5,000,000 by the ACCC for telling Qantas to stop selling tickets to the public at lower prices than what Flight Centre was offering.

Yes our door prices are lower than the OTA prices. But this cannot be shown on our website like it can with the majority of motels/hotels etc in Europe who are allowed by law to advertise on their own website lower prices than the OTA.
                      We have the same problem as USA and plans are being put forward by the USA Hotel industry associations to follow the lead of Europe.

pnm

Participant
                        • Topics Started 4
                        • Replies 17

At each of our motels we just put 10% on top on our site manager (resonline) for all OTA’s. Then we tell our managers to keep the OTA sites open so when people ring and claim they can get it chaeper they can repel them immediately. We now get over 75% direct bookings, with the corporates still being stupid enough to book through expedia. Corporate Traveller though if you ring them and tell them your direct NET rate, they start booking direct instead of through Expedia.

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                        • Topics Started 8
                        • Replies 84

Hi BusyBees, pardon my ignorance but from where do I start the procedure for your instructions regarding ?

*Type in “accommodation town/city”
                          *Ignore the first 3 written websites and come down to google map.
                          *this shows you where every provider is located (so you can see where you will be located BEFORE you book) then click on your choice.
                          *this will bring up the motel’s address, phone number, photos and reviews and the different tariffs from diff OTAs.

I am at a loss to see / find what you are explaining.
                          I agree totally to educating all OTA users to call the chosen property to make a booking. in fact our door prices are lower than my OTA prices.

Busybees
                            Busybees

Participant
                            • Topics Started 22
                            • Replies 231

Hi Cassius,
                              We are still “with” corporate travel, but we do only accept credit cards NO invoices or purchase orders (from ANYBODY). Having said that we were receiving faxes from onyx stating we owed them money I sent emails to corp travel and said…

Date: 11 July 2017 at 14:31
                              Subject: FW: recovery
                              To: XXXXX
                              To whom it may concern, and Stephanie.

I have tried to fax this to you, AGAIN, and it tells me “the number you have dialled has been disconnected”.
                              Stephanie, I have asked you and your company a few times now to have this matter cleared and to remove our fax number from their list.

We are NOT supposed to receive these faxes, they are for Corporate Traveller to process.
                              Please organise to have our number removed and for us to stop receiving them!
                              Enough is enough, it has been going on for over 3 years now!!

She apologized and said we should never have received them in the first place, not received one since. I NEVER once paid the commission and neither should you !! I would be looking into why they are slugging you with the commission!!

Busybees
                                Busybees

Participant
                                • Topics Started 22
                                • Replies 231

Hi Tiddywazza, (I tried to add a screenshot but unfortunately I cant do it on this site.)

I was trying to explain, how to explain to a guest how to uses internet to find and book a room directly with the motel and get a better price!

1)in your search bar type
                                  accommodation London (for example)
                                  2)then at least 4 written websites will come up (depending on which OTA is paying the highest adwords for the day)
                                  bypass all the written sites and come down to google maps and click on it
                                  3) the map will then open up and show you all the accomm providers for that town/city, they were highlighted by little red beds, now they are blue with the tariff.
                                  4) click on the tariff that takes your fancy in the area that you wish to stay, and the motel’s details come up. You enter in your preferred dates, and it lists the tariffs for approx 5 OTAs.
                                  5) then ring the number provided and say “I’ve just found a room for $X will you match it. THAT is when YOU say sure then you give them your best price!!
                                  Hope this helps
                                  cheers

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                            • Topics Started 8
                            • Replies 84

I get this annoyance very regularly mainly from Expedia. I only use my PC to connect to Expedia & Booking.com. And then there is their ‘your password has expired” create a new password ! More waste of time ! But security is important. Dislike & distrust OTA’s as I do, I now believe I cannot survive without their exposure to my property. I removed all availability for 8 weeks and and bookings fell off dramatically. Obviously I cannot create the exposure to the travelling public as well as the OTA’s. Perhaps it is the control & procedures they lump on me that irritate me so much. A guest recently told me he searched through over 100 Google pages of On Line Travel agents adverts before he found the the particular motel’s own details he was looking for. Such overbearing power these OTA’s have towards our businesses.

Busybees
                              Busybees

Participant
                              • Topics Started 22
                              • Replies 231

Hi Paul, It has happened like that a few times over the past couple of weeks, but it is not something that happens every time, thank goodness!

Applegum

Participant
                                • Topics Started 2
                                • Replies 21

Hi Paul,
                                  I don’t have this with either extranet, I always log in on a PC.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.