Motel Mingle Forums Online Bookings credit cards – no credit

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Busybees Busybees 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator

Topic

Philadelphia

Participant

Hi everyone,
      new to Motel Mingle and i have a million questions and gripes so this forum has been very informative. I am wondering if anyone has answers to one of my pet hates BOOKING.COM We constantly get bookings from people that have no funds in their credit card. Ive even seen people in reception transferring money to the card, as we ask for payment on arrival. As much as it annoys me, my question is, we are a husband and wife team and are very busy each day, for me to pre authorize all the cards for all the bookings each day would take too long as i have to do manual transactions through our eftpos terminal which takes too long. The last big weekend we had, i went through and pre authorised every card and out of the 30 something bookings we had, from BOOKING>COM, only 4 of these bookings had legitimate credit cards, for the rest of the day i spent chasing people for details and threatened cancellations, and all my day was consumed. We were lucky enough that everyone finally did do the right thing, but it seems so time consuming. IS THERE AN EASIER WAY? Ive asked the bank but they are no help! Ive had guests tell me they do it so they dont get hacked and ive had guests that are just……Like that…. and we have had guests that just assume they might be able to bluff their way into a free night. I could go on for hours about the gripes i have with booking.coms way of business but like every Motel in Australia , they have us by the b…..s

• Author

Replies

Busybees
      Busybees

Participant
      • Topics Started 22
      • Replies 231

Hi Philadelphia,
        Welcome to motel mingle, I hope you get a lot out of it. Like everything, you get out what you put in!!
        Do you have a pms (front office manager for example RMS,concierge, siteminder) and or a channel manager?

As you have been having such a terrible time, I would suggest that you have a channel manager that processes the payments for you. We currently have UseROSS. You can check them out on the web.

UseROSS
        CHANNEL MANAGER & E-MARKETING SYSTEM COMBINED
        ABOUT
        WORLD WIDE CHANNEL MANAGER WITH 300 USERS
        BOOKING BUTTON FOR YOU WEBSITE
        IT SUPPORT AND SETUP
        GREAT VALUE & LOW FEES
        CONTROL YOUR REFUND POLICY
        NO LOCK-IN CONTRACTS
        GUARANTEED PAYMENT
        ELECTRONIC MARKETING
        COVER YOUR FINANCIAL FEE & BOOKING FEE
        INDIVIDUAL ROOM CHANNEL PRICING web

Mick if I have over stepped the bounds..sorry just delete

Busybees
        Busybees

Participant
        • Topics Started 22
        • Replies 231

Hi guys.
          Our channel manager, UseROSS processes all our OTA payments, and once they have taken payment issue us with a wex(virtual cc). We are not supposed to access it until the day of arrival, which we do, but our relief manager was taking it earlier!! If there is a dud card, they send us an email (either confirming or advising of invalid cc), we then log onto the OTA and log the card as invalid.
          We also them an email, advising them to submit a valid cc within 24hours or their res will be cancelled, or alternatively please contact the office to discuss further. When they ring, which a lot do, I suggest they give me their cc details, and I will only take the first night once I have received confirmation that they have cancelled the OTA booking. Obviously I explain, when they book online the whole tarrif is taken and they are charged a financial fee, but if they book directly we only take the first night to secure their booking and the remainder is payable on arrival. I also explain the OTA commission and the difference is some of the room rates. Most cancel and rebook directly!!

By the way you can join UseROSS and make them your channel manager…save you a lot of hassle

Paul
          Paul

Participant
          • Topics Started 24
          • Replies 80

Agree 100% with that Wazza….

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
            • Topics Started 8
            • Replies 84

I would still be much more content for Booking.Com to take the booking payment at the point of sale same as Expedia.com No need to go through the processes of checking ect. Then getting the Bkg.com invoice to pay. The Expedia method is, to me, a lot cleaner to deal with.

Paul
              Paul

Participant
              • Topics Started 24
              • Replies 80

We always try and take the CC payment the morning of their arrival. If the card doesn’t work we log straight back into Booking.com and report credit card as invalid/no funds whatever. Booking.com then sends a message to the guest to provide another card within a time limit otherwise you have the right to cancel their booking with no commission charges. We generally cancel around 20% based on this.

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                • Topics Started 8
                • Replies 84

Sorry meant to say I take the first nights room amount directly from the guests credit card as I receive the booking.

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                  • Topics Started 8
                  • Replies 84

I for one would be happy for Booking.com to use a system similar/same as Expedia do. The bodgy bookings would not reach us at all but would be the OTAs’ job to sort out in the first instance. We used to get a few bookings coming and going to the Southern 80’s, being only 1 hour 45 minutes from you, but now no one stops off.

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                    • Topics Started 8
                    • Replies 84

Yes Philadelphia, I agree with you as many of us do re OTA’s . I too struggle with false or no funds in credit cards that are offered via Booking.com. Interestingly I have had, over the last few months, several from Booking.com that are prepaid by the guests to Booking.com so, like Expedia , I receive the virtual credit card details to process the payment for the room’s full amount. It has become necessary to process the first nights payment as soon as the booking arrives. If the card is invalid, I immediately process this via Booking.Com as an invalid card. The system then allows, as we know, the guest to rectify the card or they or we cancel the booking. Yes, processing dodgy cards has added to the workload. I am envious though, 30 plus bookings for Booking.Com for the weekend !

Philadelphia

Participant
                        • Topics Started 1
                        • Replies 1

Thanks Tidywazza, and dont be envious the whole town was booked solid for the Southern 80 boat race. I was just spewing they all booked online instead of direct! Ive been locking heads with Booking.com as we find that not many book through expedia and the false credit cards at booking.com are getting t be more and more frequent. They believe its up to us to change the way we do things, but my gripe is, that if they are giving out false information, they should be banned from booking another motel until it is rectified, but booking.com has nothing in place to stop these people from doing it everywhere and dont care if the information is false or misleading. With processing the first nights payment, do you pre-authorize or just take the payment?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.