Motel Mingle Forums Reservation Methods & Systems Computer booking systems

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ash 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Creator

Topic

Cassius

Participant

What system do managers find the easiest to use ie RSM, Guestpoint, Satin, Little Motellier etc.for motels with up to 50 rooms. I find that some are purely there for accountants and basically unfriendly to motel staff, too many steps to go through to make a booking, too many steps to book a guest in etc. Some systems friendly towards motel users and do the same as the unfriendly systems but in far fewer steps.

• Author

Replies

howie

Participant
      • Topics Started 3
      • Replies 71

Has anyone used Satin or Ibex ( new zealand company ) we are looking at these as they intergrate with our 24 hour self checkin machine , we have been using Concierge and have found it great and the support is the best we have encountered but we need to change to intergrate the checkin machine. We are looking at RMS also but it looks as though it maybe a little cumbersome.

Paul
        Paul

Participant
        • Topics Started 24
        • Replies 80

In our time we have used RMS, Guestpoint, Hirum and Resbooks and in a nutshell we would say;
          RMS: Fine system but quite slow to update and can be complicated with many actions needed sometimes
          Guestpoint: The best we’ve used. Yes it has its faults but has been by far the quickest and easiest to use
          Hirum: Too simple and not enough detail
          Resbooks: As per Hirum

Hope this helps but we’d go with Guestpoint anytime….

MVM

Participant
          • Topics Started 10
          • Replies 58

ps.. Little hotelier is also cloudbased.. so no software installed on your computer. At first we thought this might cause issues but have found it incredible… To the point where we only want cloud based now rather than software based.

Cassius

Participant
              • Topics Started 2
              • Replies 25

We had the new RMS in the cloud sold to us on the basis that the backup only was in the cloud. Untrue as everything is in the cloud. Does not have auto backup as you have to “refresh” every 10-15 mins and less time often when you are making a lot of entries. A guest who owned a caravan park had been on RMS for years and she and approx. 75 other caravan parks moved to another system. A very slow system – too many entries to be made, 4 actions to print a receipt is too much, took nearly 3 minutes to print a receipt. No system if internet goes down must have a backup paper system.

MVM

Participant
              • Topics Started 10
              • Replies 58

We use little hotelier but we are investigating other systems at present. We had an issue where littlehotelier kept changing our rooms pricing to a flat $85 when it should of been $140 – They played the blame game that it was booking.com or expedia’s discounting the rooms and nothing to do with littlehotelier…. 4 weeks later and logs provided to little hotelier from booking.com and expedia showing that little hotelier changed the pricing with no intervention by us and they still haven’t worked out how that happened.

Little hotelier is user friendly but extremely limited in what it can do.
                Poor housekeeping report, basically non existant invoicing system (we have to use QuickBOOKS for invoicing), group bookings not clear, no sms integration… or any integration with any other addons etc, unable to add / edit guest database. Support is hit and miss – can take 3wks to reply one time and then other times 2 days. They like to close your support ticket without actually fixing the issue.

But apart from that, pricing is the best you’ll find anywhere $139ex which includes channel manager and pms and booking button/portal, iphone app – all in one solution. We are just wanting more from our pms now.
                We are investigating and narrowed down to – RMS, guestpoint, newbook.. We looked at Hirum demo but just found it quite primitive and awkward to use.

Would be interested to hear about other peoples experiences with rms / guestpoint and newbook.

Ash

Participant
                  • Topics Started 1
                  • Replies 14

I am using Little Hotelier at a property where I am relieving. As it’s name implies, it is very Toylike! I will recommend the manager replace it immediately as it has very poor functionality.
                    I really don’t like grids that place the booking equally over mid nite. RMS does this too, but is customizable.
                    Guestpoint is very good and Starfleet is also quite good and includes bar and restaurant feature.

Busybees
                    Busybees

Participant
                    • Topics Started 22
                    • Replies 231

Hi Cassius,
                      We have been on rms for 5 years, and admittedly is was as simple as anything, but it has gotten more “bibs and bobs” then the average Joe Blow need.
                      With the printing yes that was becoming ridiculous with 3 “hits” to print. They have no fixed this issue with “smart printing”. This was release approx 3-4 weeks ago, and now you only have to “hit” once.
                      It is a tad more expensive than most of the others I believe but you do have 24/7 help, it prints all the reports that you could possibly ever want (not that I use most of them) and you can “take it with you” (cloud).
                      I have spoken to my contact at rms re perhaps a “motel lite” system, she thought this was a brilliant idea and was going to take it up at their next meeting, whether I hear back from her is…….
                      I did trial concierge for about 3 months, easy to use, inexpensive, but support not 24/7 and not cloud based, therefore, should you forget to back up and it crashes..too bad so sad, and you cant take it with you.
                      There will be a new one released in about 2 weeks (I think) which will be able to be synced with its own channel manger,(useROSS,)who we currently use as our channel manager (GREAT!!). They are relatively inexpensive for the channel management side so assume that the new pms will be also. If you would like any info on useROSS please let me know.
                      cheers

Cassius

Participant
                        • Topics Started 2
                        • Replies 25

Have operated Satin and Guestpoint which both have 24 hour backup. RMS does not shuts
                          down its Melbourne contacts number at 7.00pm. One of the problems here was that we found the motel website used Wix as its own booking site which did not integrate with RMS or Siteminder which we find much better as a channel manager than RMS. Perhaps Siteminder should look at introducing it own motel reservation system.
                          Statistics on RMS are very poor. Cannot get a day by day analysis of what happened 12 months ago as you can on Satin and Guestpoint.
                          Another mindful thing about all cloud based systems is that they rely on the internet. We have purchased a dedicated laptop with 4G Sim card in case internet goes down which it frequently does. Cannot blame NBN as Telstra is our provider via cable (Foxtel as well)installed 15-20 years ago and speeds sometimes well over 100mb and other times less than 1mb.
                          The idea of a simple RMS would be good. There is too much on the existing RMS that 99% of motels would never use ie boat length etc.

howie

Participant
                          • Topics Started 3
                          • Replies 71

Thanks for your reply , i am wondering if you are using rms , why would you need a separate channel manager, doesn`t rms have an in built channell manager?

howie

Participant
                              • Topics Started 3
                              • Replies 71

Sounds like i might give Satin a trial and see how we go , it will also intergrate with our 24 hour checkin machine , it is good not to have to rely on relief managers now .

Busybees
                                  Busybees

Participant
                                  • Topics Started 22
                                  • Replies 231

Hi Howie,
                                    Yes rms does have an inbuilt channel manager but our subs include a channel manager, so why pay for 2?
                                    cheers

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.