Motel Mingle Forums Legal Cleaners

• Creator

Topic

MVM

Participant

Hi there,

Longtime reader, first time poster!
      Question about casual cleaners and hours / days off. Looked at the award on fairwork website and it states that casual cleaners require 2 consecutive days off in a 7 day cycle, meaning 5 consecutive shifts in a row. I called fairwork helpline, which is a helpline that isn’t associated with fairwork gov. It was the first time they had heard that a casual on any award had stipulations on requiring 2 consecutive days off and this is the only award that they’ve seen like it, they said it’s a very grey area but it does say it none the less..
      We have a cleaner that works 2-4hrs a day and would like more hours, but the only way to do it is 6 day week but after looking it up it’s not worth the risk. A motel in Albury recently had to pay $20k in back pay to a cleaner for this very reason.

Thought I’d give everyone a heads up and also if any one has sought any info on what the grey area is??

Thanks
      Marty

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

MVM

Participant
        • Topics Started 10
        • Replies 64

Thanks Applegum,

We found out this morning that they are meant to be on the Hospitality industry award. We were told by the previous owners and also by fairwork that they were to be on Cleaning Services Award 2010 [MA000022]… But they have since corrected that and said we are on the Hospitality award! The cleaning services award has the 2 consecutive days off in it.

Thanks again for your help! I thought it was extremely odd!

Cheers
          Marty

Applegum

Participant
            • Topics Started 2
            • Replies 21

Great to hear this has been clarified for you.

Applegum

Participant
            • Topics Started 2
            • Replies 21

Hi, I have read pretty much all of the Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2010, which is what we go by for all the employees and I have seen nothing like this mentioned. Which award was the information found in? I have also never heard of the 2 consecutive days off being a requirement in the hospitality sector, this is unachievable in a small motel with 3 cleaners and with any more cleaners they do not get enough hours and look elsewhere for employment. A former cleaner had to be prised out of the building after 9 – 10 days to have 1 day off, single mother with 4 kids and she only just reached the 15 hours work test requirements most weeks.

Motel MingleMotel Mingle

Keymaster
              • Topics Started 38
              • Replies 64

Thanks for sharing MVM. First I have heard of this and would be interested in others’ views.

Finding answers.        Sharing ideas.        Solving problems.

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.