Motel Mingle Forums Guest Reviews Booking.Com Guest Review Ratings

• Creator

Topic

Stay@KyabramStay@Kyabram

Participant

Hi all – your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Sorry it’s a bit long…

Not long ago, Booking.Com changed the way their guest review ratings are generated. It used to be that the guest scored areas like cleanliness, staff, location, etc individually and the average score became your rating. This enabled the motel operator to see what guests liked or disliked about their stay.

Under the new system, guests still score the individual areas but only the “overall score” is used to generate a rating.

We are regularly getting 7.5 – 10 in all individual areas but receiving a much lower score on the overall rating. Recently a guest rated us 10/10 across ALL areas but rated us 8 overall. The 8 becomes the rating.

How are we supposed to know what they were less than pleased with unless we follow up with a call? That is not only time-consuming but sometimes taken by the guest to be a complaint against them. Lose-Lose situation.

I have lodged feedback with booking.com. but would like to hear what other think about this system (especially if it bringing your score average down for no good reason.) Perhaps we all need to provide feedback to the OTA if it is affecting our scores and, ultimately, our online bookings.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
        • Topics Started 12
        • Replies 94

Hi Howie, I have never even looked at Facebook and have no ambition to sign on to it. Don’t know why but I have no interest.

howie

Participant
          • Topics Started 3
          • Replies 76

Hi guys just wondering if you have joined the facebook page
            Motel / Hotel owners of Australia more the merrier

howie

Participant
            • Topics Started 3
            • Replies 76

I pretty much don`t bother to answer any reviews on the OTAS anymore, especially booking.com only if the guest blatantly puts in correct information out there . The reviews score keep changing and now are not a true represenatation of the score .

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
              • Topics Started 12
              • Replies 94

I have also been approached by proposed Aussie OT’s both from Queensland. I am old enough to believe if it looks too good to be true it probably isn’t right for me.

Stay@KyabramStay@Kyabram

Participant
                • Topics Started 1
                • Replies 1

I was recently approached by a motel broker who is looking into developing an Australian-owned OTA with zero commissions. I assume this means it will a subscriber or fee-per-use arrangement. I am looking forward to seeing if that happens!

TIDYWAZZA

Participant
                  • Topics Started 12
                  • Replies 94

Yes I agree the system has now got major flaws. I also have many scores of 10 for each section but the average showing is 8. A pet hate for me is Anonymous persons placing the review also Booking.Com giving them up to three months to place a review.
                    After many years of dealing with OTA’s I am often frustrated and disappointed with what they do to us and our properties. I am ready to give in and not complain at their antics any more. Cannot ever get an answer that is clear and they are always steadfast in only seeing their own point of view on any matter raised. We are stuck with these pimps who prostitute our businesses.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.