Motel Mingle Forums Guest Reviews Bad Reviews

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Portlandcabbage Portlandcabbage 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator

Topic

opal

Participant

It is really starting to annoy me when ppl post negative reviews but wont say anything to you while they are staying…..
      or make comment like not many amenities. what else can we put in the rooms they already have clock radio, microwave,toaster, kettle,fridge and flat screen tv… am i missing something that is vital any advice would be appreciated
      oh there is a bed ha ha

• Author

Replies

Portlandcabbage
      Portlandcabbage

Participant
      • Topics Started 2
      • Replies 22

Hi Busybees, I was just have the same quiet moan to myself again about bad reviews.
        I find it very frustrating as generally the problem would not have been an issue if only they had mentioned it to us whilst they were staying with us.
        Just my little whinge for tonight. :)”
        I am like you, I prefer TripAdvisor to Booking.com, especially for reviews and am also advsing my guests to book direct or throiugh my webiste or through TripAdvisor as then there are no commisions paid.
        You are correct, that if you have a business listing with TA you get a link your Website, email and phone number and a Specials Pop-up, so people can book direct with you. They look you up on TA, check out your reviews, they can then book direct by clicking on link to your motel and book via email or phone. They never have to go off your site. I started business listing last week and have already had 2 direct bookings.
        Did you also realise that Booking.com has a Star Rating of 1 Star out of 5 Stars!

Mr Petersen
        Mr Petersen

Blocked
        • Topics Started 4
        • Replies 61

Yes, thats right. TripAdvisor. Shame I cannot edit my previous messages.

Busybees
          Busybees

Participant
          • Topics Started 22
          • Replies 232

Mr Petersen, “the direct link to your own website and OTAs so guests can choose how to book”. which site are your referring to here? I am assuming TripAdvisor and def not b.com!!
            cheers

Mr Petersen
            Mr Petersen

Blocked
            • Topics Started 4
            • Replies 61

B.com have certainly stamed ahead. In the past it was WOTIF that was clearly the leader. When we took over this property we found that B.com was pulling huge numbers and I was very surprised. Nearly every second booking was from B.com. We soon realised that the rates were very low and raised them. This slowed the bookings via the internet.
              WOTIF is now moving down the popularity scale.

For those who have not requested access to their listings, I recommend that you do. There is a wealth of statistical data available for your property and interesting comparisons to your competition.

As some of us here are doing, respond to every review. It helps to push your property up the list. They also have a direct link to your own website and OTA’s. So guests can choose how to book.

Busybees
              Busybees

Participant
              • Topics Started 22
              • Replies 232

I am very happy with the reviews on TripAdvisor and yep I do respond to every one regardless of whether good or bad. I would much prefer TA to booking.com as we have the right to reply to EVERY review not the ones that they “allow” us too!! I believe this is extremely unfair of b.c.
                It is amazing what a bit of tv advertising can do…booking.yeah. booking.annoy me!!
                they have such poor customer service for accomm. providers. I am not sure what they are like from a guests point of view, but if I didn’t have to use them then I surely wouldn’t!! And yes guys I do have to use them purely because they do account for over 80% of our bookings.a necessary evil.
                I have been educating EVERY guest of the virtue of using OTAs but then to book direct.
                I also send out a thank you email to every guest regardless of with whom they booked and request a review on TA, who knows, some may do both!!
                I was just on FB, looking at my friend’s post whilst holidaying in Tasmania. She has struck a bad motel, and EVERY response was “check out TA they tell you where and not where to stay”. not one person said.”check out B.C review page”
                I believe that if you have a business listing with TA you do have a book now button, so people can do the same as b.c, review and book. I could be wrong though!

Ballina Colonial Motel

Participant
                • Topics Started 10
                • Replies 87

I do not believe that TripAdvisor reviews are as influential as they once were. Five years ago, yes, but now with all the OTAs having review options, the world has changed and potential customers are looking at reviews as they book online.

Did you know that Booking.com’s reviews now account for over 50% of all accommodation reviews and whilst we get anonymous reviews and can only answer to those that ‘comment’ rather than ‘score’, at least they did book with us.

On that basis, maybe we should be taking Booking.com more seriously?

Mr Petersen
                  Mr Petersen

Blocked
                  • Topics Started 4
                  • Replies 61

Property owners who do NOT respond are usually inexperienced and poor business persons.

TripAdvisor is the most important review site there is. Most potential guests will research your motel and choose the property that has the best reviews versus best rates. Responses are vital. You will look very unprofessional if you have never responded to a review. Respond to ALL of them.

Promote TripAdvisor on your website. Request guests to supply reviews.

Reviews are only disliked by owners who have poor quality properties. Some people do not improve their properties . They just take all the income and put nothing back..
                    The public demands certain levels of quality. If you can’t keep up then sell your business to someone who can.

Liz

Participant
                    • Topics Started 1
                    • Replies 16

You must respond to prevent any negative impression on future guests.

Busybees
                      Busybees

Participant
                      • Topics Started 22
                      • Replies 232

robguy27, I agree with CVM and Titania, I reply to every review, not just the good ones. This shows our potential customers that we are interested enough in what previous guests had to say, wo we must care about our establishment.
                        If we word the reponse correctly it shows that we are prepared to take onboard any criticism as well as the compliments. I also try to adrress all the ponts that they have mentioned, good or bad. In the last bad review I actually wrote….” why is it the only bad reviews I get are from people who are behaivng badly or doing the wrong thing??”
                        You do have to take some DEEP breaths before replying because sometimes you just want to give it to them!!! BUT you can’t (obviously) so address each point, not essay style but not bullet point either. Finish with a positive note.
                        Again EVERYBODY is reading them, we can’t avoid it, they are here to stay, and your response will impact just as much as their review.

Titania

Participant
                        • Topics Started 2
                        • Replies 3

An important element of reviews for me is what other potential guests think when they researching for a place to stay in our area. I agree with CVM – fast positive response will help how potential guests will perceive your business.

robguy27

Participant
                          • Topics Started 2
                          • Replies 34

CVM yes I agree it is really hard to not respond but we look at it as if they weren’t happy about something they most probably wont be coming back any way, even if we respond or not

CVM

Participant
                            • Topics Started 13
                            • Replies 32

@ robguy27 I would not be strong willed enough from responding. It would get the better of me and I just could not resist to respond.

robguy27

Participant
                              • Topics Started 2
                              • Replies 34

We have only ever responded to 1 review over all that we get – we do not bother wasting our time on guests that wont talk to us at the time so perhaps we could amend their concern. – we just don’t respond as a rule

CVM

Participant
                                • Topics Started 13
                                • Replies 32

If you receive negative reviews, try not to be offended by it and respond to it ASAP. Think before you reply and try not to be aggressive.

I am not a total fan of reviews however we need to embrace them as they are not going away. We just need to learn how to make the most of them and realise that we are never going to make them all happy.

Unfortunately there a a lot of unhappy people out there that just like to make things difficult from time to time.

robguy27

Participant
                                  • Topics Started 2
                                  • Replies 34

Yes we agree with you Opal these reviews do more harm than good. We had a guest state on a review that we had no information on activities in town yet we have a compendium in every room full of exactly what she wanted as well as heaps of brochures in reception. Pity she never mentioned anything to us while she was with us.

BMM

Participant
                                    • Topics Started 6
                                    • Replies 46

As long as you are providing services and amenities in line with your rating and tariff, you just accept that you cant please everyone. This is the world we live in that promotes reviews ( just and unjust).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.