Motel Mingle Forums General Chit Chat Ants and Pest Control

• Creator

Topic

PortlandcabbagePortlandcabbage

Participant

I was wondering if any other motel does their own “pest control”. We have a company that provides this service for us 4 times per year, but are finding this is quite expensive. We are now looking to doing this ourselves, but we are not sure what it involves and what the best treatments are and the costs of buying any equipment that is required. If any else does their own pest control, we would love to hear from you.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

imageBallina Colonial Motel

Participant
        • Topics Started 10
        • Replies 87

I am not convinced that a DIY solution is going to hack it in NSW?

We don’t have a restaurant buy we do provide both evening meals and breakfast to the room. We get an annual ‘food premises assessment’ inspection from our Council, which also covers certain aspect in our room and we must show evidence that ‘pest control’ has been done on a regular basis.

I’m not sure a receipt from Bunnings would past muster?

W3BEE

Participant
            • Topics Started 0
            • Replies 3

We are lucky that our local food premise inspection does not ask for the same in Vic. Seems a bit extreme providing pest control evidence.

W3BEE

Participant
            • Topics Started 0
            • Replies 3

We no longer use professionals to spray insecticides around the motel and now also buy a 4 litre pack of what ever is cheapest at Bunnings a couple of times a year. The cost is anywhere between $25 -$40 per 4 litres.

JasperJasper

Participant
                • Topics Started 0
                • Replies 3

Same Same. Bunnings and Masters have various 4 litre packs and is so much cheaper than hiring an expert pest controller.

BMM

Participant
                • Topics Started 6
                • Replies 46

Hi guys,

Most of my pest problem is ants in summer and Bogong Moths in Spring.

I have found that by using Bulk surface spray protection during these times that most of our problems are minimal.

Total cost approx. $60 per year on a simple 2 litre pump packs available from your local Hardware.

While I do not suggest that this compares to the professionals, it is a huge asaving and appears to have the desired effect

PortlandcabbagePortlandcabbage

Participant
                  • Topics Started 2
                  • Replies 22

Hi Stephanie, I agree that 4 times per year is excessive. We don’t have a restaurant, like you we have a commercial kitchen and only do a few breakfasts. But in saying that each visit costs around $150 so equates to the same as you are paying on an annual basis. I really want to find out who does it themselves and what equipment and chemicals are used.

StephanieStephanie

Participant
                    • Topics Started 6
                    • Replies 43

Four times a year does seem excessive – tho I guess you may have a restaurant attached which needs more regular treatments. We have once a year pest control for the motel and twice a year for the commercial kitchen area (we only do a few breakfasts). 18 rooms cost about $600 per year.

Stephanie@ Redcliffe Motor Inn

Mr PetersenMr Petersen

Blocked
                      • Topics Started 4
                      • Replies 61

We have an annual service for about $300. Why would you need it done 4 times a year?
                        The equipment is cheap. A sprayer and some protective clothing and mask.
                        The products will vary. Many of the operators use chemicals that can only be purchased with a licence. It can be deadly.
                        Retail chemicals are not as effective but if you do it 4 times a year, you will surely achieve the same results for a lower cost.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.