• This topic has 14 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by howie.
  • Creator

Topic

PaulPaul

Participant

Have any of you recently noticed (i.e. in the last week or so) that Agoda bookings are slicing nearly 25% commission! We’ve had two in the last two days that worked out they took 25% commission. We rang them immediately and they said that they only act for their guests and that we must speak to their bosses at Agoda – who we are finding it VERY hard to contact. Also, one that came through today (again with 25% commission) was for a family room when that particular day has been booked out for over 2 weeks! How does that happen? We use Resonline as our channel manager and it is linked to all the major OTA’s including Agoda yet they still sent through a booking when the chart clearly says ‘0’. Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

PaulPaul

Participant
        • Topics Started 25
        • Replies 80

100% agree with you Busybee! Agoda are the worse and terrible to deal with (if you can hold of any of them in the first place). We tell EVERY guest that they are far better off ringing us direct as, and as you say, we are not paying commissions to overseas companies and they are guaranteed to get it cheaper direct (unless of course the likes of Agoda or Booking.com have done a ‘special’ on the prices that they haven’t told us about – that has happened to us on more than one occasion!). We MUST band together and stop this theft by the OTA’s otherwise a lot of us are going to go out of business. Unfortunately I see the day when they (the OTA’s) will buy their own motels and squeeze the private individuals out of business altogether…..

BusybeesBusybees

Participant
          • Topics Started 22
          • Replies 232

I will not align with Agoda, my channel manager asked me the other day if i was interested and I said no thanks, I have heard too many bad things about them and this forum is just cementing that fact!
            I have just signed up to Hooroo which is the Qantas Jetstar, they only charge 12% and there is another Australian one called Free2chooz, who only charge 10%.

I am with AOW where we need to band together against these ota bullies, unfortunately not enough of us are willing to stand up and be counted…. it might affect our bookings!! Well they are affecting my bank balance!!
            I REALLY wish EVERY motel would have the same rules….
            book online pay the complete tariff up front, not this “book now pay later”
            one body per sleeping position NOT “oh he sleeps with me at home.. NO NO NO
            ALL charge a fee for using OTAs (we cant have a cheaper tariff on our ow website because the toothless tiger ACCC wont stand up for us, we are only allowed to offer free things like breakfast… I wish it were free for me to provide it!!!
            Ok I will get off my soap box now!!

I tell EVERYONE that comes through our door, about the necessary evils of OTAs, the commission they charge and the fact that is UNTAXED i read somewhere it was 64million that went offshore last year.I tell them how expedia are going to give their loyal customers an extra 10% so out of every$100 i charge they will be taking $25. i reckon 95% of the guests are shocked. I then explain to them to use either hooroo or free2chooz.as they only charge us 10-12% AND it stays in Australia!
            I also tell them to type accommodation Bangkok or broken hill where ever they want to stay and look for the map that has the little red beds. You can see where on the map you need to be and then click on the red bed. It will will tell you the name of the motel, go over to the left hand side and it will give you an average room price, reviews from trip/b.c/exp and also the motel contact details. Ring the motel and tell you’ve found a room for $100 online will you match it? I tell them that 9/10 we will because its us who give the otas their tariff. I also tell them that it is a misconception that is is always cheaper on line. Motels usually add 10% to the tariff to try to recoup some of the commission that we are charged. i also tell that we don’t charge any fees if you book directly with us. If you book online the third party that actually takes your money charges you a fee to hold your detail safe, and its non refundable should you cancel.

PaulPaul

Participant
            • Topics Started 25
            • Replies 80

Try this number (02 8066 2868). This is a Sydney based number for Agoda bookings but they should be able to point you in the right direction. Just tell them that you are a supplier (motel) first…

(Sorry can’t help anymore as I’m not in front of my system – having a few days off! :-))

howie

Participant
                • Topics Started 3
                • Replies 71

just wondering if anyone can come up with a well worded sign for reception areas to highlight the fact to guests booking through otas about the commissions they dont know they are paying
                  Something along the lines of
                  Dear guests if you booked through booking.com, expedia,wotif,agoda etc. you have just paid upto 15% more for your room than you needed to
                  Book direct and save
                  Someone with a better grasp of the english language maybe able to word it a bit better than me.
                  I think it needs to be to the point but not to harsh

PaulPaul

Participant
                • Topics Started 25
                • Replies 80

Hi MVM, Agoda Extranet is actually called YCS and you should have a username and password to log into that. In there you will find the contact details of your local representative but don’t expect anything to get done. Agoda are the most useless ‘OTA’ that we’ve ever deal with and are generally unprofessional. I have found that they were charging all the extra commission for a programme not disimiliar to Genius Booker at Booking.com (can’t remember the name of their promotion now). Anyway, to cut a long story short I asked them to take us off that promotion (took 4 weeks to accomplish!) and we are no longer charged the ridiculous commission rates.
                  Hope that helps!

MVM

Participant
                    • Topics Started 10
                    • Replies 58

Thanks for the help.. I can’t seem to see it anywhere in YCS where the reps contact details are. I go to help and it says my marketing manager is “AUSTRALIA TEAM” I’ve filled that form out 2 dozen times and no replies ever.
                      Property is up and running but need to contact them for support

MVM

Participant
                    • Topics Started 10
                    • Replies 58

Can you give me some contact for agoda.. I’ve tried multiple times to even just get in contact with them and I have no phone number, emails go unanswered… I really can’t find out how to literally contact them!

PaulPaul

Participant
                      • Topics Started 25
                      • Replies 80

I think I didn’t make myself very clear. Yes, you are correct, the Genius Booker programme does not affect the RATE of commission that Booking.com charges but it does affect what you actually get. Let’s break down my example;

Normal room rate $138.00 – Booking.com Commission (15%) means they get $20.70 – Retrospectively we then get $117.30 for the room ($138.00 – $20.70)
                        Genius Booker $124.00 – Booking.com Commission (15%) means they get $18.60 – Retrospectively we then get $105.40 for the room ($124.00 – $18.60)
                        In the above example, Booking.com offering ‘Loyalty’ guests a discounted room means they only lose $2.10 in commission but we lose $11.90 per room after commissions. Or put it another way, we lose, in total, $32.60 per room due to Booking.com instead of a guest booking direct with us at $138.00 per room – 24% of our rack rate if you like!
                        Sorry that’s long-winded but its the best way I can explain it!
                        They’re offering discounted rooms at our expense!

PaulPaul

Participant
                        • Topics Started 25
                        • Replies 80

I’m not sure how you reckon ‘Genius Booker’ does not affect the commission when a normal rate for ours (through Booking.com) is $138.00 and a ‘Genius Booker’ is $124.20. The guest gets a discount and the room rate is lower payable to us therefore a greater commission in that respect.

AOW

Participant
                            • Topics Started 0
                            • Replies 3

I looked for a ‘Genius Booker’ reservation from Booking.com who actually stayed with Us, and then looked up our invoice received from Booking.com and checked it is a 12% charge, which it is. I’m not sure why You have the difference, and We don’t?

MVM

Participant
                                • Topics Started 10
                                • Replies 58

I don’t think you are in the genius booker program AOW. We get bookings from booking.com that mention that they are a genuius booker, but because we aren’t in the program (where we don’t offer anything if they are or not) then it doesn’t affect us.

PaulPaul

Participant
                              • Topics Started 25
                              • Replies 80

I have now got to the bottom of this after much digging around. Apparently (before our time here) our motel agreed to be part of a ‘Loyal Agoda Customer’ scheme whereby the guest gets and extra 10% off (like Booking.com Genius Booker) but that 10% extra is costed to us, the motel, rather than Agoda – just like Booking.com. So, in a nutshell, the OTA gets extra guests at the cost of the motel! What a load of rubbish! I asked, in no uncertain terms, for Agoda to take us off this programme as we currently run around 85% occupancy anyway and didn’t need their charity thanks!
                                It’s time we as a motel industry banded together AGAINST these OTA’s otherwise we will have no profit left whatsoever. Shout this from your roof tops: WE WILL GIVE YOU A BETTER DEAL IF YOU RING US DIRECT!

AOW

Participant
                                  • Topics Started 0
                                  • Replies 3

I appreciate Paul’s feedback on Agoda; and also his advice regarding Booking.com – which made me go and have a look at my invoices from Booking.com – I now know that We are paying 12% to Booking.com, not 10! I checked history back to 2014 (the year We took over this business) and note it was 12% then! However, the ‘Genius Booker’ (does not affect percentage, i.e. no extra percentage on top of the 12% thank goodness!

AOW

Participant
                                  • Topics Started 0
                                  • Replies 3

Hi Paul,

J – I just read commissions in America and Europe are hitting 20-25%; and that Australian Internet Watchdogs are expecting it to flow on now that Expedia and Priceline (Booking.com) are buying up everyone. I believe We all need to keep updating our websites frequently to stay in the top listing of Google and thus try our best to get direct bookers; sadly there are thousands who do not understand what it means to Us when they book through an OTA, and now Expedia are offering X nights and get 1 free, and some Motels, etc. do not offer a discount for booking direct (happened to my Son) which very much surprised me. To date, I have noticed our overseas OTAs have cost Us 12% & 15% for commission. I’m surprised Agoda was 25% because they are under the Booking.com umbrella. I figured Wotif would increase to 15% (16.5% as 1.5% bank merchant fee) due to Expedia taking them over.

Booking nil availability has happened to Us too; our Channel Manager suggested that two OTA Staff Members were booking the same property at the same time. Not good for We the Accommodation Providers ! Can’t see the OTA paying for the bumping of the Guests to another property ! They’ve not taken responsibility when We have received fraudulent credit card guests – so now We say to the Guest EFT or PayPal the deposit; and on arrival the balance will be paid via your card on our Eftpos Machine when they use their PIN number.

G – The OTAs act like bullies and take the first page of any search for “accomodation” with paid ads.
                                    sometimes the whole first page of a google search has links to OTA’s
                                    Google is also part of the problem as they are behaving like an advertising company. This makes it very hard to get your own property onto the first page.
                                    Our battles have only just begun and without organized unity we have no chance of wrestling OUR customers back with our own loyalty programs

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.