• Creator

Topic

howie

Participant

Just wondering if anyone has a checkin sytem machine or has experience with one .
      We are considering getting one installed and at about $70/week vwe figure that if it does 1 per week( that we would otherwise not get cos we have the no vacancy sign up after 10pm) it maybe worth it.
      So we are looking for some feedback and real world experience before we go ahead with it
      thanks in advance

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author

Replies

MVM

Participant
        • Topics Started 10
        • Replies 64

$70 a week is worth it just to take the family to the movies and dinner for a few hours, me AND my wife and kids, instead of just me and the kids or my wife and the kid!

does it scan licences and does it capture all the credit card details when taking payment incase there is damage done. Is it commissioned based for processing payments?

howie

Participant
            • Topics Started 3
            • Replies 76

So we have chosen the base model which accepts visa , master and now amex, you can charge card fees etc , you can have a cash payment method attached to the machine.
              We don`t have a scanner on ours for licences etc , but i would imagine that they could if you really insisted on it.
              The payment system which is Australia post securepay charge 2.4% but you don`t get access to the credit card number so you will need to have a pre authorisation deposit when they use the machine for any incidentals that may arise , you can make this amount whatever you like. this is the one we have

Mini Kiosk

MVM

Participant
            • Topics Started 10
            • Replies 64

How did you go about the 24hr check in machine.. We had a guest in that owned a motel with one and raved about it. Saying that they leave the motel on weekends etc (i personally wouldn’t, i can think of 8576 reasons why i wouldn’t) They turn off their phones after 930pm etc (again, i personally wouldn’t, guests locked out of rooms etc)
              But, it has made me think about investigating it!

Cassius

Participant
              • Topics Started 2
              • Replies 25

The other fault with RMS is that the screen often changes showing two bookings in one room a refresh is necessary, frequently gives a housekeeping report with rooms missing that are being vacated and require cleaning that day. Just have to recheck everything that RMS does.
                Extremely frustrating and time wasting. When booking from the screen you select a room on the screen then a page comes up for the booking details often for a totally different room than you select. As I say recheck and recheck. Not a good system.
                After we leave here we are going relief.

howie

Participant
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Replies 76

We are very happy with our checkin machine , and yes if we have a quiet night we go away, or we go away for the weekend if it happens to be quiet.
                    We have an intercom next to the machine for guests who lock themselves out/ need to contact us cos they can`t workout the air con remote etc etc etc. !!! so they can contact us anywhere in the world.
                    We have spare keys in the machine if they have locked themselves out so we can drop them another one again if you have internet access you can do it from anywhere in the world. If internet not working then we have manual keysafes located next to the room doors that we can give them the password to open them.
                    I think you come up with any number if excuses not to go away , but we also have someone who can go to the motel if really needed. We have found that 99% of the time the guest is fine without us.
                    So we just try to find reasons to go away now. People are getting used to it , they serve themselves at supermarkets , bigw , kmart etc , check themselves into airlines etc. If they can type there name , phone number and email they can use these machines. We also quite often have an extra 1 or 2 rooms checked in overnight without being woken up or having to haggle price in the middle of the night. Personally i won`t own another motel without something similar
                    Another benefit is not having to worry about relief managers for a few nights. We have found they want more money and do less and less as time goes by so now we can do without them for short stays away.

Cassius

Participant
                  • Topics Started 2
                  • Replies 25

RMS hopeless since it went to the cloud. Very slow Speaking with a guest arriving at our motel who owns a caravan park in South Australia. She said she knew of more than 200 caravan parks in Australia that had dropped RMS, if the internet goes down you can’t use RMS.Must have a backup computer using a wireless 4G phone connection therefore at an increased cost.

RMS is too big for most motels as it has dedicated pages for Boat length Caravan length berths in caravan not needed by motels. Statistics are very basic almost none. You have to extract your data from their reports then put in excel to get your own charts etc Guestpoint good for statistics. ie % Occupancy, rooms let day by day, month by or whatever time period you want, same for revenue etc
                    Satin a good programme but do not know about integration with your checkin machine.
                    Note we do not have a checkin machine but operate a night key safe which guests access via a code number generally the last three numbers of their mobile phone but we check them in at 9.00pm extract the payment for one night from their CC or from Expedia virtual card and place a receipt in their room. Light on and heating if necessary . Frequently we will call guests about 7.30pm and inquire as to their arrival time.

Many booking systems do not have to be in the cloud for a third party to access it – this particularily true for Satin, it appears that Satin has a window added to give the third party access to your Satin if required but it is for a fee..

MVM

Participant
                      • Topics Started 10
                      • Replies 64

Bloody hell, i think it might actually be you who stayed with us! By any chance you didn’t talk to my wife about it (Jackie) and you were on a motorbike. If so, i might have to get on my bike and stay a night with you to check it out in person.

howie

Participant
                          • Topics Started 3
                          • Replies 76

that was me and you are most welcome

MVM

Participant
                          • Topics Started 10
                          • Replies 64

It’s very tempting howie, some people just don’t want to talk and want to get in their rooms, i reckon people would even use it when the office is open!.
                            I hope you don’t mind me asking you these questions, i just hate asking suppliers as then you get bombarded with calls and they just don’t give a straight answer. (example, rms still calling once a month for the last 12mths even though i’ve said i’m not going with them!)

1 – Is the machine a lease type thing or buy the machine outright.
                            2 – How much are the costs including installations
                            3 – How did you go with integration, what works with it and what doesn’t.

Thanks heaps

howie

Participant
                              • Topics Started 3
                              • Replies 76

We have opted to lease the machine for 18 months as a trial , but you can buy it outright , the one we have is around $9000.00 , if you lease it approx 20% of your payments are deducted from the purchase price should you decide to buy it
                                Installation you do yourself , just need power and internet connection.
                                We mounted ours on the wall. Then they do a remote install , i think it was few hundred dollars for setup.
                                We have opted so far to not intergrate it with our pms , just as a trial
                                But we are about to fully automate it with
                                Satin and Staah , so then we wont need to manually enter the bookings , not that is a big issue , but it will be nice to just check they have gone in.
                                Yes we do have a few just checkin on the machine even when the office is open , i think they like the try it out like a new toy.

Angimon

Participant
                            • Topics Started 14
                            • Replies 80

Hi Howie
                              No experience with these systems, but if you are making $70 off each room… WOW! Well done… and any advice on how we could all make that much?

howie

Participant
                                • Topics Started 3
                                • Replies 76

Thanks Cassius , we may look at satin , it sounds a little like concierge in that it is loaded on your own computer but has online backup and support.
                                  We have found the self checkin machine has given us great flexbility to be able to get out of the office a bit more and we can still get walk up bookings when we are not here or are in bed . With relief managers not wanting to do any cleaning and charging so much to answer the phone and do nothing else we have eliminated the need to have them, and now we can run the office from anywhere we have the internet. We are just looking to intergrate everything together with channel managers pms and internet bookings which will pretty much auotmate the whole front of house. Thanks again for your very informative response.
                                  For anyone contemplating the self checkin machine i would recommend leasing one for 18 months for a trial , I for one won`t have amotel without one for now on

Viewing 4 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.