Hi Paul and Val
From what I know it is up to your local Council if it is required. You can check with your local Health Inspector. Most require you to have both of these certificates. It does not matter who has the certificates, whether it is the owner; the lessee or the manager as long as someone does.
I am in Portland Victoria and it is a requirement here.
It is very easy to do the courses as you can do them online. Once you have done the courses for both certificates you do not have to renew them.
I would recommend you do the courses even if you do not have to, as then you know what is required when handling foods and you are covered for any potential problems.