I am no expert, only having 3 years experience as a Lease Holder, but I am happy give my opinion. As the LEASE HOLDER it is our duty to do all those big tasks you are talking about - carpets, repainting, replacing etc. It is in our Lease Document that we must keep the motel up to a 4 star standard. The Lease Document outlines very clearly what we are responsible for. In the end we have an asset to sell - The Lease; it is in our interest to keep it up to standard so we can sell at a good price. But we are Lease Holders. You are Managers, responsible for 'minor maintenance". Quite a different role description in my mind. You are there to earn an income. Your job is to run the motel to the best of your ability, and if the occupancy is improving they are getting there money's worth from you. In your position I would not be inclined to spend money improving someone else's asset, but it probably depends on what you signed. Maybe they want you to organise these things and have the bills sent to them???? Worth asking....