Motel Mingle Forums Online Bookings Guest Payments Reply To: Guest Payments

imageBallina Colonial Motel

Participant
  • Topics Started 10
  • Replies 87

I know this is one of our favourites subjects and recently a friend of mine in another motel rang me with a problem.

I have been telling him for years to take payment at booking, but he never has and on numerous occasions has been seen off with no shows and invalid Credit Cards. His latest problem is that he is getting an extraordinary 1 in 5 cancel. I explained that with no monetary commitment from the customer, they will cancel at will, even within your cancellation period. You can’t pay for your plane ticket (often cheaper than the accommodation cost) when you get to check-in, so why do they think they can for a motel?

It got me thinking as to what other local motels were doing, so did a quick analysis. I had a feeling I was one on the strictest and I was right, as I am the only one that makes a notional charge on a cancelation outside of the cancellation period.

Only one other charged 100% at time of booking.

Four charge 100% of 1st night at time of booking.

The other six on arrival.

Three others are on seven days cancellation notice.

One is on three days and four on two days cancellation notice.

The remaining three give just one day.

It was interesting that the three largest motels collected monies on arrival and also had a one day cancellation policy!

Where do you fit? I know that I probably lose a few booking as a result of the policy, but like someone else said; I sleep well at night (and don’t have a night bell!).

p.s. It was interesting to read an article in AccomNews just this week that the Marriot and the Hilton are only now tightening their cancellation policy.